Blue baby lionhead?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhapsody

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a litter of lionheads born about 8 days ago and I have no clue what one of the colors are. The mom is a Broken Siamese Sable and the dad is a Siamese Sable. My mom thinks that it could be a blue and i think it may be light siamese sable. Can someone post a picture of a blue and of a light siamese sable kit at around this age or tell me of a link that may have a pic? I would post pix of them except my camera isn't hooking up to the computer correctly. Thanks.

If the rabbit is out of 2 shadeds, we can rule out blue. Might be a smoke pearl, siamese sable or possibly sable point?

Pam

I found a picture of a Siamese Sable kit online and it looks alot like it so I think its a siamese sable. What can you breed togeter to get blues though? Just curious

To "make" the blue color, you need rabbits that carry the self gene "a", at least one with the full color "C" gene (which shadeds don't have), both carrying the dilute "d" gene and at least one with the dominant "E" full extension gene. In the chocolate series, at least one rabbit must be dominant "B" or lilac would be produced with the bbdd combination.

Confusing to explain to someone who doesn't know rabbit coat color genetics, but at a minimum, both parents must carry the dilute "d" gene as well as the other genes needed to make the self blue.

There are many colors that can be bred together to produce blue if they carry the proper genes.

Pam

Back