Bloody kits??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=center]I was at the rabbit sanctuary today and I heard there was a new momma bun with babies... so my mom and I quickly peeked into the hospital area (usually employees only.. I couldn't resist. We didn't get anywhere near them.)... I was expecting at least like 2 week old kits. Noooo! They're still small and furless.

They had blood on them though. Do momma's not clean them off completely right away? Or do you think one of the kits were hurt? Or maybe momma was still bleeding?- because there was blood on the newspaper outside where the kits were too... There was a sign on the pen that said to leave the babies be, so we obviously couldn't check them over, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned?

I saw at least two wriggling around and moving and looking fine (those are the ones I saw with blood on them) and then a couple others who I can't remember if they were moving a lot or not. They were further back and there was hay covering them, so yeah.

Anyways- yeah I'm wondering what's going on since I have never seen baby buns this young before...

When a momma haves babies, They leave blood behind from having babies, My doe's do. Its usually in the fur with the babies or on the straw. She cleans the up the best she can. They should be in fur to keep warm or they can get chilled.

Id say that's normal. My does also clean the best they can but they cant get it all. My mom usually cleans the dirty shavings the next morning.

[align=center]Oh okay, I knew there was blood when kits were born, (lol, I've seen cats be born soooo I figure that's common sense) :p I just didn't think they left blood on them. There seemed to be a plentiful amount of fur and hay in the box.

I've never seen any blood in the nest or on the kits, but we've only had 4 litters here so I dunno.

I only ever saw a little bit of blood in the doe's litter box after.

Maybe you could call them and ask them about the kits?

Latest posts

Back