Bloodstain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hln917

Reaction score
I just came home and went upstairs to check on the girls. Their is dry bloodstainnext totheir food, water bowl and hay on the mat.We checked both girls and couldn't find anything. Nothing in their litterpan. They were both eating when I came home. However we did notice Shades is missing 1 nail from her rear paw. Their was no dry blood on her paw. Is it possible she could have licked/cleaned any blood from the torn nail? It looks like if the blood was from her paw, it was smeared while she was eating. They were both doing major binkies and running last night but if she did rip her nail, it was today as no blood in their cage. We just changed all their litterpan so we can monitor them tonight.

Is there any dried blood on the ripped nail? Also Shades could be in pain from it.

Sweetie had this with her dewclaws, she chewed them and they bled. I got her to the vet and he gave her metacam. BTW this is months ago this happened to Sweetie.

WHenever I see blood, the first thing I check is the nails, its almost always a bent/ripped or missing nail. And they clean themselves up pretty quick and stop the bleeding.

(Rabbits are very self-healing that way).

I wouldn't worry.

sas :bunnydance:

Yes, that happens a lot (we have another post just like this one today!). Just keep an eye on it and keep it clean (betadine, neosporin) and it should heal on its own. If it starts to bleed again, use flour/cornstarch/styptic powder to stop the bleeding.

Thanks for all the advice. I think it was her nail. We've been monitoring both girls and no more sighting of blood. I have a question about the neosporin. Is it safe to administer it if they lick their paws?

The kind without added pain relief is tolerable. The kind with pain relief isn't recommended at all.

I prefer Betadine or a bit of peroxide these days.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back