Blood spotting out of rectum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kirby was doing good last night and she is wild and happy to see me this morning. Doing bunny 500s in the pen. :)

I have two huge piles of hay in the cage that she is loving. I'm noticing now she wasn't eating as much hay as she could because of how the hay rack is. I'm going to re-work it or possibly make a new one. For now she has that as well as a separate pile on the ground. I only gave 1/4 cup of pellets this morning, I don't want to immediately cut back but I'll get down to a smaller amount in a couple of weeks. She just acts so starved for pellets I feel bad limiting!

She is exploding with good big healthy poops. :D I put white paper towels in her litter box and her urine is normal. She sure filled it last night! I'm going to put litter under the paper towels today so there is more absorbent material.

Just for information for everyone....rabbits (along with many small mammals) do not have an estrus (heat) cycle. They are "induced ovulators" which means they become fertile shortly after a male mounts her. In reality, this means thedoes are technically "in heat" nearly all the time if she isn't pregnant. Since in nature rabbits are quite low on the food chain, this helps assure there are sufficient births to maintain population. In certain parts of the US, cottontails deliver a litter of babies every 28 days or so all year so that means each doe can birth somewhere closeto 60 babies each year....approx 10% survive to breeding age. The doe can become pregnant againshortly after she delivers a litter due to the special design of the uterus. The hormones in many does that are not used to breed can become so intense they go thru a "false pregnancy" and will do everything except deliver kits. Interesting to watch...stressful on the rabbit.

Randy

That is something I didn't know about rabbits Randy! I learn something new every time I come on here; and every time we talk!

My female rabbit is getting spayed on January 20th this year. I will be watching her like a hawk after the surgery!

Latest posts

Back