Blood in urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnieNMolly

Reaction score
77984C93-281D-4B4F-9A00-F254F5A12120.jpeg A5C2AD4E-4862-4C1A-B487-AC03113292F8.jpeg View attachment 39262 hello everyone. Any advice/experiences yall may have with this that y’all can give would be greatly appreciated. I have 2.5 year old unspayed female rabbit. Yes I plan to have her spayed but I have not yet. She is acting completely normal, eating, playing, drinking, pooping. But I noticed blood in her urine. I have read countless articles about this and I know there is sometimes red urine that can be normal and look like blood but I think I found a tiny blood clot (about the size of a third of a grain of rice) just to give y’all a comparison. I’ve seen 2 of those now. And the “red” urine is very bright red like blood. I will post photos. I just don’t know if this is considered an emergency, I can take her to the ER vet but she stresses really bad and it’s an hour away. I called the vet and they can’t answer questions because the vet is only on call and has to be called in if I go. The fact that she seems normal makes me think I don’t need to take her and possibly stress her into something more. Does anyone have any advice on this? Also I know high calcium can cause this from what I’ve read. She gets green leaf lettuce, cilantro and parsley twice a day, pellets and unlimited Timothy and oat hay. I checked the calcium content in all of those and lowered the parsley to almost none because I read there is quite a bit of calcium. Also put a tiny bit of pineapple juice in her water to increase her water intake which she is liking. Thank you in advance.

If she is eating and acting normally and is no longer having bloody urine (or there is just a very little bit of blood), I would probably just make sure to get her seen right away tomorrow. If she is having a lot of blood in her urine, I would get her into the ER vet right away today. If they aren't open tomorrow either, I would just get her seen today.

With there being clumps of blood, I would be more inclined to think there is something else going on besides irritation to the bladder from calcium deposits or a simple uti, possibly something more serious. But this is just a guess. If in doubt and you have concerns, it's always better to get to the vet.

Latest posts

Back