Blood in poo..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hok9

Reaction score
I dont seem to be doing good with my does. Yesterday i stepped on her and it wasnt good. She limped around for a while before acting like nothing was wrong. A little while later she was pooing with blood. there wasnt much per say but enough that i dont think she is going to last much longer. I am unable to take her to a vet yet again, as the vet is not available for another week, which is the same day i take my last boy to get neutered.

I guess i was just wondering if there is anything i can do for her. I am not able to monitor her poos now as she is lives with 2 of my altered males.

I guess there is no other vet to take her to. I would monitor her for now. If she starts to bleed more or stops eating, drinking, etc. is there emergency vet you can take her to or a way to contact the other vet in an emergency?

Also move her out of the cage and monitor her if possible.

I don't know what to say. She has internal injuries if she is bleeding after being stepped on. if you definitely are not able to take her to the vet I would observe her carefully for any worsening symptoms. if they worsen you need to remember the pain factorhere and that she cannot go a week before seeing a vet.

Didn't you just have a rabbit who had leg surgery because you stepped on him ?. How is he?
I have a set-up in my home in which I have to jump over fences to get to my buns ; I have a concern that it would be possible to step on one although I am on high alert and ultra careful.
Maybe there would be a way to set up your rabbit's housing so there would be less accidents there. I am considering redoing my whole rabbit room myself to prevent the possibility of any injuries here.
If you are not going to take her to the vet and she is bleeding that is a very bad scenario. I am concerned about her being in pain?
Move her by herself and try to make her comfortable. Pleaselet us know how she is doing. :(

These are just freak accidents. His leg broke for two reasons, i beleive. 1)i did step on him. 2) he jumped out of m hands on to tile floor after. I dont know what broke it though. He is doing fine now. Still looks funny.

With this one, I didnt know she was out. The have not been out of the cage that much recently because we have been trying to rearrange our house to make room for new furniture so there are alot of little things out. She just got out of a crack in their cage and was outside the bathroom door when i came out. I saw her last minute but it didnt register that it was a bunny lying there. I think i thought she was a shoe or something, but i dont have any shoes that are soft and fluffy.

I know this is not good to think about but if she does get worse should i just put her down instead of trying to get her better? I have had to do that to rats before.

It might be worthwhile to get her in to a vet that isn't very rabbit savvy--even a dog or cat vet can probably help in this situation. As long as you remember that some drugs aren't ok for bunnies (like oral penicillin, amoxicillin), the treatment of internal injuries of this sort probably would be the same for a cat or a rabbit. They're going to want to do x-rays and see if there's anything broken. They can determine what to do if something is broken.

It sounds like her intestines have been perforated by the injury, which is really bad and difficult to recover from. It may require surgery to repair the perforation. I would get her to a vet as soon as possible, even if it's not a very rabbit-savvy vet. I think a dog or cat vet could do this type of surgery. At the very least, the vet can take x-rays and determine the extent of the damage so you can figure out how to proceed. They can also have her put to sleep peacefully if that's the best option. It really depends on the extent of the damage and what the vet you find is comfortable doing to help.

Poor girlie. Good luck.

edit: wanted to add why it's so serious and important to get her in ASAP: the intestines are full of bacteria that can cause real damage if they are perforated. These bacteria can get into the body cavity, and then the blood (they're usually kept in the intestines by the intestinal lining). Then the rabbit can get a full-body infection, like sepsis, and that is extremely difficult to treat or recover from. When the intestines are leaking, you have to be very careful to keep a large-scale infection from overwhelming their body because the bacteria from inside the intestines have a chance to get into the rest of the body.

Latest posts

Back