bloating in rabbits??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having lost a bun to bloat this year, there were a few things I noted that may be of help to you.

1) Pipp's post on Dana Krempel's theory seems very likely. "But because the rabbit intestine just posterior to the stomach takes a very sharp turn, it appears that if the stomach has even a slight blockage or gas buildup that pinches that turn just the wrong way, an irreversible bloat can occur." This is key. A rabbit may have a 'hairpin turn' which would be along the lines of a genetic defect and often rabbits with these turns may survive gas/partial blockages only once, or many times. They often do seem to succumb to the condition however.

2) Many times these 'gas attack' episodes are actually partial blockages, likely in the valve where the stomach meets the intestine or in a hairpin turn in the small intestine. These episodes seem to look a lot like a gas attack with only a couple small differences; the rabbit responds very well to oral fluids, the episode seems to last longer than a gas attack, and the rabbit often has abnormal poop immediately after starting to feel a bit better.

3) After recurring 'episodes' the rabbit will likely suffer weakened tendons and lining around the stomach and intestines, which leads to more frequency of attacks. This also leads to necrotic tissue and possible stomach ulcers. Also because of this weakness it leads sometimes to twisting of the stomach, which usually cannot be detected in an x-ray but can be confirmed in case the vet tries to insert a tube down the esophagus to remove gas build up. Even if they are using a very small tube it will not be able to pass into the stomach. In the case that a turned stomach is observed, there isn't much that can be done.

4) In case bloat is diagnosed the vet can try tubing the rabbit but even though it may provide some temporary relief to the rabbit, it will almost certainly re-bloat later. After only a few hours of bloat the rabbit can develop necrotic tissue and/or ulcers in the gut.

Basically, it seems like bloat is largely hereditary and a rabbit will often show problem signs before it happens. I don't think there is much you can do about it, yes bacteria and some foods can contribute to it but it is really really unlikely to cause TRUE bloat. A rabbit most often will not survive true bloat. Before my rabbit died I knew something was very wrong, he had been sick many times before but within minutes of him just starting to feel ill all his signs were different. Before, with partial blockages and gas attacks he would immediately stop eating (as in would eat food then 5 minutes later refuse food) and his stomach would feel soft and normal. Massage helped him. However when he bloated, he slowly stopped eating (as in over a period of 1-2 hours he slowly refused food) and his stomach was hard like a balloon. I did not massage him at all in this case.

I wouldn't worry about your other rabbits unless you think the hay is suspect. As long as it is green, not damp, smells nice and fresh it should be safe.

Latest posts

Back