Bloated stomach???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ana_The_Dreamer, Sep 5, 2014.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1

Ana_The_Dreamer

Ana_The_Dreamer

Ana_The_Dreamer

Okay, so Nessa has been acting extremely lazy today. I brought her out of her cage and noticed her stomach feels very bloated. That worried me immediately. She started to poop smelly, squishy, lumped together poops a few minutes after being out of her cage. Her eating hasn't been any different lately, nor her drinking. But her stomach is really bothering me! I just know that isn't normal.
    I don't have any vets around me and I have zero amount of money to take her.
    Does anyone know what could be wrong?? I might be over reacting, but I'm just worried..
    Thanks!

2. Sep 5, 2014 #2

whiskylollipop

whiskylollipop

whiskylollipop

Laura the Bunsnuggler

Oh no :( How is she now? It sounds like she might have gas. Could you get some infant gas drops from a pharmacy? Massaging her belly and encouraging her to move around as much as possible may also help break up the gas bubbles.

3. Sep 5, 2014 #3

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Are the poops just normal cecotropes or are they abnormal poop? Has she eaten anything new or unusual today?
    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

True bloat were the belly is severely distended, is an immediate emergency. If it is just a bit of gas and she is continuing to eat and poop normally, then you can try a bit of infant gas drops(1cc every hour for 3 hours) to see if it helps. But if your rabbit is having a swollen belly and abnormal poop, that is quite concerning and really needs immediate vet attention. If you do go to the vet, you should probably bring a fecal sample with you.
    http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=10385

4. Sep 5, 2014 #4

Ana_The_Dreamer

Ana_The_Dreamer

Ana_The_Dreamer

The poop was abnormal and not cecotropes. I'm not sure if she had eaten anything different, the only thing I had fed her besides her regular pellets and hay was a few mint leaves and some kale.
    I massaged her stomach and encouraged her to eat some papaya tablets (I thought maybe she just was constipated) and extra hay. After a few hours, she stopped pooping all together. She just laid on my lap with her eyes closed for what felt like forever. I continued to massage her tummy for a while longer and after a bit (Approx. 3 hours) she had a poop explosion. Tons of long shaped and fur covered droppings. She seemed to perk up immediately after that. She was eager to eat some dark greens and I gave her some pineapple. The bloating went down 50% after all the chaos. This morning her stomach was still bloated slightly. I might try some of the suggested gas drops if she doesn't improve.
    Oy vey. That rabbit sure loves to scare me! I'm looking into a vet relatively close by (45 minute drive) I luckily found earlier and I'm planning on taking her if she doesn't get better.

5. Sep 5, 2014 #5

millja10

millja10

millja10

My bunny has not eaten and has jelly in his poop and hes not bloated but his stomache is hard please help

6. Sep 5, 2014 #6

JBun

JBun

JBun

7. Sep 5, 2014 #7

JBun

JBun

JBun

I'm glad to hear she's doing better. Hopefully it's all cleared out now and she'll continue to improve.

8. Sep 5, 2014 #8

Azerane

Azerane

Azerane

Mod at Large

Sounds like she ingested a lot of fur, I would be grooming her once or twice a day to prevent it happening again since she must be shedding?

9. Sep 6, 2014 #9

Ana_The_Dreamer

Ana_The_Dreamer

Ana_The_Dreamer

I haven't noticed her shedding, but I am starting to groom her a few times a day. :)