Bloat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovinmybuns

Reaction score
This morning I woke up and was getting set to go to work. I usually feed my rabbit Peanuts shortly before I leave. When I went to give him his morning pellets and hay, I realized he was full of diarrhea.....lacked a smell and was almost like water. I nearly freaked.....he didn't eat, nor did he move. I went to work, left after an hour and a half and came home to take him to the vet.....my mom in the mean time called and had an appointment for later on in the day. I did'nt think he would make it. His whole body was quivering like he was having a seizure. Called the vet and they took him right in. They said that it was a life or death situation at the moment. They quick gave him an IV, two types of pain meds and diagnosed him with severe bloat...life threatening. They put him in an incubator, as he is 10 degrees lower than normal.I had to go back to work (I'm a teacher so I was needed atmy job).....and my mom called in the afternoon to check in on him.....they said thereis no change...no better, no worse. I'm home from work and alls I can do isball my eyes out. Haven't heard from theVet anymore, so no news is good news.....but for those of you familiar with this situation, whattype of outcome is typical? :(:(:(Please keep your fingers crossed that my boy pulls through...this is my baby :(:(:(

Oh my goodness! Lots of prayers for you and Peanut. :pray:

I have had an experience with diarrhea/bloat with my bun Sprite, but it wasn't this severe. Good thing too, because my rabbit vet was on vacation! It started as mild diarrhea then became liquid diarrhea, then swollen tummy with no poops at all. I treated her with lots of baby gas meds and tummy rubs and a little bit of syringed Pedialyte and food. The gas meds didn't seem to work, probalby because they couldn't get to where they needed to be. The tummy rubs helped the most. It took about two days for her to start pooping and nibbling on food, and then she improved quickly.

Is there anything that Peanut could have gotten into? Like a house plant, something in the yard, cleaning chemicals, food she shouldn't have had, new food, etc.? Sprite's was started by eating a huge willow stick. Her sister Fey gets stasis from Metacam and I totally forgot that willow bark has a chemical similar to aspirin, which is the same class of drug as Metacam. Boy did I learn my lesson! She's fine when she only gets very small sticks, but no big sticks for her or Fey now!

Please keep us updated. :hug:

Oh no!! So sorry...

Here's the Library link..

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10

Pay particular attention to this one:

Bloat
http://www.bunnylu.org/bloat.html

The SaveaBunny link that follows it may also be helpful.

Where are you located? It sounds like your vet is rabbit-savvy, but you may want to double check their treatment and send them these links if you have any doubts.

We're praying for Peanuts.
getwellsoonsc.gif

sas :pray:

naturestee wrote:
Oh my goodness! Lots of prayers for you and Peanut. :pray:

I have had an experience with diarrhea/bloat with my bun Sprite, but it wasn't this severe. Good thing too, because my rabbit vet was on vacation! It started as mild diarrhea then became liquid diarrhea, then swollen tummy with no poops at all. I treated her with lots of baby gas meds and tummy rubs and a little bit of syringed Pedialyte and food. The gas meds didn't seem to work, probalby because they couldn't get to where they needed to be. The tummy rubs helped the most. It took about two days for her to start pooping and nibbling on food, and then she improved quickly.

Is there anything that Peanut could have gotten into? Like a house plant, something in the yard, cleaning chemicals, food she shouldn't have had, new food, etc.? Sprite's was started by eating a huge willow stick. Her sister Fey gets stasis from Metacam and I totally forgot that willow bark has a chemical similar to aspirin, which is the same class of drug as Metacam. Boy did I learn my lesson! She's fine when she only gets very small sticks, but no big sticks for her or Fey now!

Please keep us updated. :hug:
Thank you so much for the prayers. I'm sorry to hear that your rabbit faced this as well. It hit so fast.....he was fine yesterday, eating and jumping around like his usual self. Then this morning he was almost lifeless.....he couldn't have gotten into any thing...I thought that as well....we have house plants near his cage, but nothing he could get into. The Vet said it's all liquid in his belly....so I don't know where that would come from. I'm just so upset....I'm beyond upset :(:(:(Thank you for your reply!!

Liquid in his belly? Definately read the Bunnylu article that Pipp posted, then call your vet and see if he wants the info. There's contact info for a vet at the bottom, he might want to talk to her and get advice on treating the bloat.

For the benefit of other members, severe bloat is not the same as a gas attack. With severe bloat there's usually explosive diarrhea, major tummy bloating and a drop in body temperature that usually results in the demise of the bunny within hours.

This was the right treatment -- immediate vet attention, hydration and warmth. With severe bloat, the vets will most often drain the stomach (serveral times) via with a tube down their throat.

The cause isn't really known -- I believe some think it's a virus, others think it's food related --bunnies eating fresh spring grass are often at risk. If anybody has more input on that, love to hear it.

Kudos to Lovinmybuns for the quick action.

Hope he makes it. :( You're on the right track.

Poor bunny.

sas :clover:

:yeahthat:

What I had with Sprite wasn't true bloat, it was similar but much slower. It might have been life threatening if I hadn't treated her, but in the end she didn't need vet care to pull through.

naturestee wrote:
What I had with Sprite wasn't true bloat, it was similar but much slower. It might have been life threatening if I hadn't treated her, but in the end she didn't need vet care to pull through.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't know ifsevere bloat is that kind of mild bloat,just worse, or not.

I know when my bunnies get flat out gas attacks (which can still be dangerous due to shock/pain/falling temperature), they don't get diarrhea, other than occasionally excess cecals/poopy butt.

Sprite may have had a milder form of the virus? (if it is a virus) and not just a food reaction. I'd really like to see more info on this, not a lot out there. The best analysis comes from the breeder site, as noted. Maybe some vet studies have been done recently. Something to watch for.

Please let us know how Peanuts is, we're pulling for him.

sas :clover:

I just want to thank you all for the links to articles and for the help and support. It means a lot. :hug: I haven't heard from the Vet yet, so hoping that no news is good news. When my mom talked to him earlier he said that they weren't going to operate because they didn't think he would make it through.....or do any thing extensive for that matter. They seem to be treating him for his pain and they were giving him Ivs. I'm hoping that he's okay.

There is someone who watched over my lil guy. Last night the Vet tech called and said that Peanuts was looking more responsive and was doing a little bit better. He wasn't going to make any promises to get my hopes up, but so far things were looking okay. This morning, bright and early the Vet called and low and behold, my guy was doing great. It was/is truely a miracle. He could'nt believe how good he was doing, since he was in such critical care yesterday. He came home with me this afternoon and he's doing okay. He's a bit quiet and isn't moving around as much as he usually does. He's kinda sitting in the corner of his cage and hasn't really laid down yet. He has been eating his pellets and going at his Timothy hay like crazy. He's gone to the bathroom and the Vet said he was peeing and poopin like crazy at his office. He was sent home with Propulsid and is on 1 cc two times a day. The only thing I notice is he looks so big...like his stomach is hanging and he looks fat (I guess that's the word I would use). I am imagining that would be from this Sub Q injections he was getting and IV fluids. I am just so happy he's home again and is okay. He was in such bad shape yesterday. I dont' ever want to see him like that again. I just hope he's okay tonight and doesn't relapse, as tomorrow is Sunday and the Vet isn't in. So far, knock on wood, he's okay. Thanks for all of your support and well wishes :DIt is much appreciated!! :biggrin2::hugsquish:

Back