Bloat in rabbits causing death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadLady

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope some one can help. I have a friend having problems with rabbits bloating & then passing away. She had them on Purina SHow mix. Not sure what is going on... But they go off feed & water & then die. She has tried everything... We heard from a judge (we were at a show this weekend) that a toxin is going around...

He says it's not contagious, it's a toxin.. and he said Comfy (MEDICATION) will work to save them right away. Does anyone know where we could get this? He said that 1 place had it & they do not & have not ever had it. We can not get in touch with him.

Any help to save our bunnies would be great! We are so sad that she has lost about 6 so far & a few more are not doing well at all!

PLEASE HELP!!

Umm...can the judge be a little more specific? Probably not especially since you can't contact him. How can the judge know how to treat something if they can't identify it? I use Purina pellets and have had no problems at all with the product. Notto say that any one individual bag may have spot mycotoxins. And I do some very advanced medical work on rabbits but I am totally unaware of any medical product known as Comfy.

Bloat is always a symptom of something else. If the rabbits are dying, the most likely cause of death is due to a bacterial imbalance in the GI. The imbalance can be caused by any number of things....certainly some type of toxin (if it's in the feed, it's most likely mold), stress, water, infection or most anything else. In simple terms, the bloat is caused by gasses caused by decaying bacteria. The beneficial bacteria that has died also keeps the bad bacteria under control. Without that good bacteria, the results are usually a major GI event.....called various things depending on what part of the country you are in. We know it here as Cecal Dysbiosis. While I am not involved in shows, I do know that sometimes the show sponsor provides pellets and the change of pellets can cause some issues. And most people overfeed pellets and feed far too little hay.....and that combination leads to a weakened bacterial population in the gut and makes the population prone to issues.

We most often find a couple of specific strains of Clostridium in the guts of GI compromised rabbits. It is the primary killer of wild cottontails as they wean. The gut of a weaning cottontail and a domestic during stasis/ileus is identical. Clostridium is responsible for most food poisonings in humans. It is related to botulism and tetanus. Birds carry a particularly nasty strain of this bacteria. This bacteria is an obligate anaerobic bacteria....which means it lives in an environment totally void of oxygen. The effects of Clostridium in a rabbit's gut (or any other species) can easily be fatal....in rabbits sometimes less than 24 hours. Symptoms of Clostridium includes loss of appetite, lathargy, labored breathing, rough looking fur and finally they will wobble back and forth, fall over gasping for air and die. Sorry for the graphic description but it is what it is.

Our traditional response to this condition has been lots of hydration (both orally and by sub-q or IV), a probiotic such as Bene Bac and an antibiotic known as Metronidazole. The hydration helps dilute the toxins. The Bene Bac adds specific bacteria....not the kind that is naturally found in the gut....but the bacteria that is in the probiotic tends to acidify the gut and stabilize the pH in an acidic state. A pH of 1-2 is necessary for the growth of healthy bacteria. Many may suggest this but DO NOT use yogurt. Metronidazole is effective against anaerobic bacteria such as Clostridium. But Metronidazole's benefits are much more it's ability to calm the gut....it has huge anti-inflammatory properties.

We have used a human drug, Questran, in an effort to bind the toxins. It works something like the activated charcoal in Toxi-Ban (used by vets in dogs and cats). Problem with Questran is that it is hard to find, must be compounded and requires a huge amount of water for proper functions. I have recently been using a horse product (a horse and rabbit are medically almost identical) called BioSponge. It seems to be able to bind and filter nearly all the toxins released in a major GI event. I have only used it in a very small test group but have been nothing short of thrilled by the results. My most recent test was on some cottontails that were already showing signs of advanced GI distress. A week later, those cottontails are going to released this evening. Since we know that cottontails are much weaker than domestics, this product should be a life saver with domestics. It is available in both a powder and a paster. The powder is easily mixed in water and can be syringe fed....or can be sprinkled on greens. Simethicone can be administered to help with the gas. This drug is not absorbed into the body. It simply acts on the surface tension of the gas bubbles which allows them to collect into a passable form.

I would do some serious research to isolate the source of the problem.....and it could be anything. Good detective work is in order here.If there is any question about the quality of the pellets and/or hay....by all means toss it andstart with another source. I have tossed entirebales of hay and full bags of pellets that I questioned their quality. Good luck.

Randy

Bloat is more common this year due to viral infections which can lead to bacterial imbalances in the gut. Broad spectrum antibiotics can sometimes be helpful during an outbreak.

Feed toxins aren't as common. Many types of common molds are harmless when ingested (we breath/ingest many mold types continuously).

Pam

The treatment I would give for a rabbit suffering from bloat would be simethicone (gas medicine, liquid form for babies is easiest to give), probiotics (Bene-Bac or ProBios), only feed hay, plus a ride in the car to the vet. I know with a large number of rabbits it's difficult to afford treating them all, but some of the bacterial imbalances are best treated by prescription antibiotics, and questran or biosponge if available. Plus, sometimes some gentle movement can break up gas in the gut and get it out. Some people have success with gentle massaging to get gas out of the gut, even with an electric toothbrush to help.

That's really interesting, Pam. Do you think a rotavirus is "going around" right now, as we're seeing a LOT of bloat/enteritis cases lately?

Latest posts

Back