Blind Kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lover4daisy

Reaction score
We rescud a kitten. He is about 4 weeks old now. We try to get him to play with string but he just walks through it, over it, under it, and show no intrest. It is just like he does not even know it is there. When we have him on our lap, sometiimes he just fall over when he is walking and rolls off. Or he even just walks off the edge of our laps like he did not even know there was an end. I did some research and something came up called Cerebellar Hypoplasis. It causes lack of coordinatioon. As some know your Cerebellum in your brain is what helps you with you balance and coordination. So Cerebellar Hypoplasis is some sort of brain defect. Please give me your opions, and thing to do. Has anyone else ran into this problem?I am not sure if he does have this, or he might be blind.

Acat my husband brought home pregnant had kittens five weeks ago. I think your kitten may be fine and that it is just clumsy because it is still young. They are still learning how to balance well at four weeks. Mine still will fall over at times. At the age of four weeks also they are just starting to learn how to play with things. That is possibly why he is ignoring the string, he hasn't learned yet that it is fun to play with string. He may also be afraid of it. Kittens tend to be pretty cautious at first when discovering new thing.

Watch to see it he follows with his eyes other things that catch his interest. If he does and what he is watching is not making any sound then I would say he is not blind.

You can do a search for kitten development on the internet and find plenty of sites that explain what a kitten learns and becomes capable of each week. Just keep in mind that some kittens may be a little slower or a little faster to develop.

If you are worried you can take the kitten to the vets.

I would recommend a vet check, simply because rescuing a kitten that young, I would want to get it checked out anyway. As for the other things, a kitten at 4 weeks old is only really just starting to better its walking skills and they don't really actively start playing until closer to week 5. Everything is new and they're still trying to get the hang of their coordination, so I would be inclined to put it down to kitten clumsiness at the moment. Just keep monitoring the development :)

Latest posts

Back