Blind Bunny NIC Condo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luce

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick bit of info about the bun. Luce is a 4 yr old Holland Lop that I am in the process of adopting. He's a sweet little guy (around 3 pounds.) His vision is quite diminished (he's not entirely blind though...!) and he also has a buttload of problems due to the fact that his previous owners neglected him quite a bit (...alot!)

So here's my dilemma, I want to build him a NIC condo (and spoil him rotten) as well as give him the space he never had. However, due to his vision problems, I'm very scared of him falling or being unable to use a ramp (maybe I'm just paranoid.) Should I just just make the condo with protectors for each floor (like walls so he doesn't fall by accident,) or should I just make one large one level enclosure for him?

Tell me what you guys think?

-Alice

If you have the space, a large one level will work (my bunnies cage is also one level), but your idea of walls could work, too. They wouldn't have to be super tall, 4 or 5 inches would be more than enough for him to know not to walk any further, but he would need a ramp to get up.

I'm glad you're able to give this guy the attention he always deserved. He sounds like a special bun who found a special home :)

Hi Alice , how nice of you to adobt a visualy impaired bunny. My suggestion is to make it without any levels.

When I moved to the apartment my 12 year old bunny Buttercup (RIP) hadn't been in a cage for years. He lived in the family room.I made him a large NIC cage (no levels as I was afraid he would fall and hurt himself). He had lots of room, a hide house , blankets, toys etc.

Or put one level but don't put it up real high so if he does miss a step he won't hurt himself. And have fleece blankets on the floor for him.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of him.

Susan:)

I totally agree with Jordan. Go with a large 1 level. Make sure it is 2 cubes high though. That way he can fully stretch out.

Hi :) We also have a blind bun. She has a NIC condo that is long and low instead of tall. Muppet has no shelves but instead about six feet of run space. Muppet gets around great but I can not rearrange my house cause she gets confused and runs into stuff. Blind bunnies do really well with a couple of small issues. Muppet loves sound and will thump nonstop if it gets to quiet. She also loves newspaper...

Hi guys!

Thank you so much for your input. I'm ultimately decided on building a 1 1/2 level NIC condo! The first floor will be rather large. It'll be two grids tall with a roof because apparently Luce is a jumper! It'll also have a ramp leading to a smaller 1/2 floor where he can snooze if he wants. I'll be putting NIC walls on the 1/2 floor to prevent him from falling! I cannot wait to build it and take Luce home when he's done with his treatment (he has molar spurs, pneumonia, and an upper respiratory infection.) His foster mom recommend me to wait at least 2 weeks until he feels a bit better to take him home. Poor bunny! I guess I'll spend this time finishing up his condo. :')

I hope that he gets better soon. Remember to post pictures of his cage when it is built.

Latest posts

Back