bleeding???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyliegp

Reaction score
I went over to give Rumple a treat before bed and saw he was sitting in a small pool of blood, I inspected his whole body gums teeth and all and found it was coming from a small spot on his back foot. I couldnt get a good picture but it doesnt look like a cut it almost looks like a scab or blister, plus i couldnt find anything in his cage he could possibly have cut himself on.

i held a wet cloth on it and stopped the bleeding which wasnt really excessive to begin with. he seems totally fine and he's still hopping around. Any ideas what this could be and is there anything i could do to prevent infection such as polysporin? I'll keep an eye on the spot and take him to the vet if necessary

photo 2 (3).JPG

photo 1 (3).jpg

I would probably wrap it in gauze to prevent infection and clean where he has left blood just to avoid any germs and take everything out of his bed and shake off the fleece and put everything back.Hope that helped :)

If this is his back heal, it is called pododermatitis or sore hocks. The fur on the back heal has rubbed off and become sore enough to bleed. You need to take your rabbit to a good rabbit vet to get checked. Your rabbit may need to be put on pain medication and antibiotics due to the open wound. The vet will also need to rule out an underlying cause for the sore hocks, such as arthritis. You will also need to take necessary steps to change your rabbits flooring to a softer substrate if the fleece isn't soft enough, to give the wound a chance to heal and prevent it from reoccurring.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

Latest posts

Back