bleeding from surgical area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexandra the great

Reaction score
Hi guys. When I adopted Bean, the shelter let me know that he had just had his neutering surgery and needed to have his sutures removed in a few days. Over the past few days, I've seen tiny blood spots on the blanket I gave him. They were very few and far between. I assumed it was from his sutures. I told myself we would just have to wait for our scheduled appointment. (it's actually this evening.) But just today he's been bleeding way more. I can actually see pebble-sized blood spots on my hardwood floor. we called the vet office and there was no available spot to get him to the vet earlier. I have no idea what to do rn. Is there anything I should be doing for him?
EDIT: just wanted to mention that he seems completely unbothered by it all. he was just doing binkies last night and he ran up to me to get a treat this morning when I noticed the blood.

UPDATE:
we just got back from the veterinary office. the vet removed his sutures and also did a full body examination. but, she was unable to find anything that could have caused the blood on his blanket; which I was reallyy confused about. but he's a-okay right now. Although, he was a bit unhappy when we got back home which wasn't too surprising. XP

That's good you were able to have the vet check it. Maybe he broke a nail, and that's where the blood came from? But do keep an eye on the incision to make sure he's not chewing at it and causing the drops of blood.

Also, another possibility to consider is it not being blood but drops of urine from him spraying. Rabbit pee can have an reddish orange color sometimes, depending on the rabbits diet, and that will sometimes be mistaken for blood. Those hormones haven't faded yet(takes 4-8 weeks), so he could be spraying to urine mark his territory. Bucks especially will do it when they get excited and are running around playing.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
I don't know if the vet office mentioned any post surgical instructions, but usually it's recommended to restrict a rabbit to cage rest for several days after their spay/neuter surgery. For the boys it's at least 3 days. So if it hasn't been at least 3 days since the surgery, or if new sutures were put in today, I would recommend cage rest so the incision site has time to heal. You especially want to limit fast running and hopping up/down from things.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

Back