Bleeding bunny?? Need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
I have a 3-4 month old female bunny, she has a new 5-6month old male bunny friend. I have noticed red/orange stains all over their newspaper bedding. Is this from blood or their pee?? I have never owned bunnies, just guinea pigs, so I have no idea what's going on. I heard bunnies can have colored pee though. Any help is great!

I bet its pee.

Flops has had orangish to pretty red pee before.

If your still worried you could check your bunnies for any blood on their fur.

Chances are it's probably pee though! :)

Red/orange pee is totally normal. The color of the pee depends on they have been eating.

Rabbit pee can range from clear, to yellow, to orange and red. It can vary with the food they eat, the amount of water they are drinking and other factors.

Just a side question, are your two bunnies housed together? And if so, are they spayed/neutered or at least the male neutered?

--Dawn

I have no idea if the male is, got him from a lady who didn't want him anymore. Is there any way to check?

If he's a he, and he isn't neutered, and he's at least 3 months old, it should be pretty obvious. There will be testicles.

Hm, I haven't seen any on him. I can check again, but like you said, it should be obvious and it isn't. Any good pictures of them for me to compare to him? Will a neutered male still mount? I know males and females mount over dominance.

Alfalfa in the diet of a former Holland I sold caused her to have red pee. The new owner called me and described the diet they had her on... when they switched hay the urine color changed.

My current buns have an alfalfa mix hay but I do not get the red pee - it has a bit of an orange cast.

Denise

Latest posts

Back