Blankies for bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanna

Reaction score
Well, in the latest Thumper update (he changesevery day!), his new big thing is material. Material of any sort willdo, but it's best if it's some soft snuggy fluffy number, preferably onthe couch or hanging up (such as curtains). This would be fine if hejust chewed on it (which he did at first), but now he's not happy untilhe's chewed great big whopping holes in the fabric! So we've decidedthat our destructor-bunny needs a blankie of his own which he can biteholes into as much as his little heart desires.

Which fibres are a no go for bunnies? and which natural fibres are niceand soft and fluffy? I don't want him getting fur balls or bound up bylong threads inside him. This has to be a perfectly safe blankie thatwe can leave him unsupervised with. Any suggestions?

Hi

our bun loooves his blankie too. We get his at the localdollar store. They are only 2 dollars and they are fleecebaby blankets. (theres one he loves in my pic there) He has neverchewed a hole in it. Maybe he was just chewing holes in thembecause he wanted it down to snuggle with. (because the curtains werehanging?)

not sure if he would chew his lovey if you gave him one to scoot around on the floor with.

good luck!

Generally, if your bunny chews fabric, then it'snot really a very good idea to give him anything made of material. Evenmaterials dubbed "bunny safe" can be harmful and even fatal if thefibers are ingested... but I'll leave this one to the experts. Theyknow more than me ;)

What a couple of cute bunnies in this thread!!!

I've got a little blanket like that for Pipp, who loves digging it onmy lap. She doesn't eat any of it though. The oneI've got doesn't even seem to generate any fluff for her to swallow.

However, unless you're VERY sure none are being digested, it's best touse only natural fibers, the synthetic ones can ball up in the gut andcause major problems.

sas et al

Like Pipp said, if you think he's swallowing anyof the fabric then you need to keep him away from thosefabrics. As I understand it though, there's no differencebetween natural and synthetic fibers. Rabbits can not digestcotton so it's just as likely to cause a blockage as polyester.

Oh my goodness...he's just tooadorable. I don't have much good advice for anybodytonight...I'm just too sleepy. I just couldn't pass up theopportunity to let you know how GORGEOUS your desctructor-bunnyis!! Such an expression on his face...howwonderful! :)

(Hehe, I just noticed the name you gave the picture, too....cute!!)

:bunnydance::bunnydance: Maisie and Flower are now bugging meto give him their phone number...I think they're smitten,too! :)

I don't think he's actually eating what he bitesoff, although if there's a loose thread hanging off something he willbite that off and eat it. He's bitten holes in my pants, my husband'sTshirt, and a myriad of holes in the bedroom curtains!! He alsoLOOOOOVES the sleeping bag!! After a domestic disagreement one night Ispent the night on the couch in the sleeping bag and Thumper just wentnuts over it- digging in it and biting it (although no holes.... yet),tunneling and licking. He's just a sleeping bag bunny! So now wesometimes bring it out just for him to play on. Just the sight of itmakes him do binkies!

Thanks for the advice everyone- I think we'll start off with a nicebaby's blankie (as per bitsygiggles' suggestion) and just watch him tomake sure he's not swallowing any of it.

Alanna*

Ummmmm....maybe you should send him to myplace. None of my bunnies eat their blankies....so maybe hewould get the general idea from hanging out with them.
I'll send him back.....promise!

:expressionless

~ Jim

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
:D

VERY cute bunnie!!!:brownbunny.....(and he's been added to my B-napping list!!!)
I buy baby blankets, probably similar to the ones bg posted.
I get them at the dollar store. Mooshu liked to chew holes in hers, butnever ingested any. I would find little round pieces ofblankie in the bottom of her cage all the time. She stopped doing thatquite a while ago and just snuggles with it now.
The fabric is safe and I trim of the boarder, because they use nylon thread tohem it.

Bummer used to chew my shirts till they lookedlike swiss cheese! Giving him a blankie didn't really stophim...just gave him another target.:D About 3 months afterhis neuter he finally gave up and stopped chewing everything!He now has his own blankies though that he can dig, chew burrow andplay with. He really loves them! I'm lucky in thathe doesn't eat them, he has 5 beach blankets. (not all at the sametime...we switch them around!) As was said there really isn'ta safe fabric for bunnies! Have you tried giving him a grassmat that he can dig and chew?? I know they aren't as soft andyummy as real blankies! But he might enjoy destroying one ofthose too!:D

Thumper really is beautiful (or maybe I should try to shield his ego and say "handsome"? ;))

Re. blankets to dig, I've got a couple of fleece receiving blankets forNibbles. She does like to chomp into them (pulling them into "points,"then flattening them), but so far, she's not eating them. There are alot of little holes from her teeth. but I tried something similar withan old cotton beach towel, and noticed that she wanted to eat it. So itonly comes out when I'm playing with her and can supervise.

The one problem I ran into with the receiving blankets: she sometimespeed on them. I'm assuming some of this was marking, plus "Oh, a nicesoft place to pee!" When that happened, I took them away and she didn'tget them back for a while. She seems to have figured out that they'llgo away if she keeps it up. (a few stray poops show up from time totime; no big deal there.)

But I do check to make sure that she's not eating her blankets - you never can second-guess on things like that.

I know what you mean. Maisie does thesame thing. I gave her a blankey a few months ago, and she(like she does with most clothy-type things) almost immediately peed onit. I haven't given her one since, though mostly from my ownstubbornness. She did have fun scooting it around, it's justthat she couldn't resist peeing on it.

Flower, on the other hand, hasn't peed on hers once, and she's has itfor a couple months now! She loves laying next to it, andreorganizing it, and scooting it around. It's so cute...

Maybe I should get over my stubbornness and just get Maisie another blankey? Lol...eww...:)

ec wrote:
The one problem I ran into with the receiving blankets: she sometimespeed on them. I'm assuming some of this was marking, plus "Oh, a nicesoft place to pee!" When that happened, I took them away and she didn'tget them back for a while. She seems to have figured out that they'llgo away if she keeps it up. (a few stray poops show up from time totime; no big deal there.)

Back