bladder sludge?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky1502

Reaction score
hi guys I'm a new bunny mom
I have a 2 months old Angora and last night when I checked on her before I go to bed I saw like 2 patches of cecotropes on the floor and I got really worried so I picked it up and offered it to her and she ate it.
today when I woke up I saw a poop covered in white thing and when I saw her letterbox there was something like a mucus on her poop and it looks like chalk
the water bowl had a piece of cecotrpos when I changed it maybe she didn't drink enough water when I was asleep because of the dirty water?(I change her water twice a day so it must got dirty when I was sleeping)
I got her clean water and she drank it right away
she is 2 months old and I had her for a month now
her diet is alfalfa hay and water(I give her some of the pallets she used to eat before I got her as a treat and some oats every other day)
I will get her to the vet as soon as I can
what should I do for now I'm really worried about her??
this is the chalk
5303B011-056D-498E-88F2-26534A3D3757.JPG
and this is the mucus thing
24527DEA-D80A-47A7-B998-AA558A19E05C.JPG
I don't know if it came with the poop or the pee

Hi, I think she has too much alfalfa and it's time to start transferring her to grass hays, timothy or meadow or orchard, bermuda, any good dried grass. Alfalfa only fed when they are babies (not always) or underweight, alfalfa is not grass but legume and is very high on protein and when babies are growing they need some (or they are fed alfalfa based junior pellets), but grass hay is necessary and it should make 80% of her diet by 4 months of age.
Since there's lots of poos I see in your pics and they look healthy but they are black because of you feed her alfalfa, for the same reason she might be missing her cecals because her diet is too rich. So get her normal grass hay and start mixing with alfalfa, gradually reducing alfalfa so she could start eating normal grass hay and then you will remove alfalfa from her menu.

Hi, I think she has too much alfalfa and it's time to start transferring her to grass hays, timothy or meadow or orchard, bermuda, any good dried grass. Alfalfa only fed when they are babies (not always) or underweight, alfalfa is not grass but legume and is very high on protein and when babies are growing they need some (or they are fed alfalfa based junior pellets), but grass hay is necessary and it should make 80% of her diet by 4 months of age.
Since there's lots of poos I see in your pics and they look healthy but they are black because of you feed her alfalfa, for the same reason she might be missing her cecals because her diet is too rich. So get her normal grass hay and start mixing with alfalfa, gradually reducing alfalfa so she could start eating normal grass hay and then you will remove alfalfa from her menu.
thank you so much
I changed the letterbox and put a peepad to see her pee and its bladder sludge
also I gave her different type of hay mixed with the alfalfa and water
I contacted the vet and he told me to change the hay and it will be fine but I want to ask is there is any procedure the vet can do to make her better or changing the hay is enough??

thank you so much
I changed the letterbox and put a peepad to see her pee and its bladder sludge
also I gave her different type of hay mixed with the alfalfa and water
I contacted the vet and he told me to change the hay and it will be fine but I want to ask is there is any procedure the vet can do to make her better or changing the hay is enough??
Take one step at a time and keep watching her, when she will start eating grass hay her poos will change. Because you won't be making any sudden changes it will take a few days before she will start eating normal grass hay as her main food (many rabbits don't want to change alfalfa for grass hays, that is why alfalfa is not recommended as only food even for the babies).
I get you have her for one month now so she is about 3 months old, you feed her unlimited alfalfa on daily basis and oats every other day and small amount of pellets (what pellets they are by the way, can you give name, ingredients etc? are they alfalfa based as well), and she gets no grass hay at all.

I can't tell from just one photo, but it is not necessarily sludge it can be just excess of calcium for example. Judging from your diet I just say what I would do (well I wouldn't feed alfalfa instead of grass hay, my babies get grass hay from birth and start nibbling on it after 2-3 weeks), because I think that her diet needs to be improved. After her diet is more suitable her poos and pee should improve. If you are worried you just take her to a rabbit savvy vet so they could run urine tests etc, but as you mentioned your vet told you the same thing to add grass hay to her menu and gradually reduce alfalfa.
It will take a few days when she will eat mostly grass hay and so you will be able to see the results.

As I understand she is feeling good and is active, making lots of poos so not in pain or anything. It looks like her diet is just too rich for her and needs to be improved.

Take one step at a time and keep watching her, when she will start eating grass hay her poos will change. Because you won't be making any sudden changes it will take a few days before she will start eating normal grass hay as her main food (many rabbits don't want to change alfalfa for grass hays, that is why alfalfa is not recommended as only food even for the babies).
I get you have her for one month now so she is about 3 months old, you feed her unlimited alfalfa on daily basis and oats every other day and small amount of pellets (what pellets they are by the way, can you give name, ingredients etc? are they alfalfa based as well), and she gets no grass hay at all.

I can't tell from just one photo, but it is not necessarily sludge it can be just excess of calcium for example. Judging from your diet I just say what I would do (well I wouldn't feed alfalfa instead of grass hay, my babies get grass hay from birth and start nibbling on it after 2-3 weeks), because I think that her diet needs to be improved. After her diet is more suitable her poos and pee should improve. If you are worried you just take her to a rabbit savvy vet so they could run urine tests etc, but as you mentioned your vet told you the same thing to add grass hay to her menu and gradually reduce alfalfa.
It will take a few days when she will eat mostly grass hay and so you will be able to see the results.

As I understand she is feeling good and is active, making lots of poos so not in pain or anything. It looks like her diet is just too rich for her and needs to be improved.
I ordered Timothy hay and it should arrive in couple of days
for now I'm giving her mountain grass with some alfalfa because she won't eat the grass alone
tempImagecHLRga.png
this is a photo from an hour ago
its really looks like sludge
and she's 2 months now
thank you for helping me I will monitor her urin and poop I hope it gets better

hey guys I wanted to give you an update
so her pee is normal now thanks god
I have 2 water bowls in her place to encourage her to drink more water and I got her the Timothy hay but I have a problem
she isn't eating it ,she may eat some when I mix some alfalfa hay with it but when I refill her letterbox with only Timothy hay she well sniff it and won't eat it
I am afraid that if I sleep and leave her with only the Timothy she won't eat it and goes in GI stasis or something , what should I do?

I reccomend getting sherwood urianry tract support. What kind of veggies do you give? How many pounds is your rabbits? How much veggies do you give

Latest posts

Back