Bladder Sludge (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Sore hocks are usually not painful for the rabbit to walk on? I am so confused because I am almost surethat it is that little pink spot on the back of her foot that is making her reluctant to step on it. Once that part of her foot touches the carpet she lifts it up.Onthe sore hocks on your bunnies the hair is missing on thefoot right?Where is the location of the foot where you bunnies usually got their sore hocks, because her sore is right on herheel.When I touchthat part of her foot she runs away. But her sore isn't bleeding just really red, could it be that thetought callouse hasn't developed yet?? Sorry for all the questions, I am just so confused about what is going on with her.

A pic of the foot would help. I have seen several bunnies with sore hocks that didn't act strange at all, and for some of them they were actual scabs on the heel. However, all of these guys had both feet sore, so they couldn't really get away from walking on it. One was in a shelter situation, and I was the only volunteer who noticed it, and I only noticed the sore hocks because I was trimming toenails and cleaning scent glands one day and saw them.

With my bf's little nethies (Frida and Benjamin), they sometimes get sore hocks due to standing on dirty litter and poo (he cleans the litterbox once a week, doesn't have a grate over the poo, I'm not too happy about it but all I can do is try to make him feel bad about them getting sore hocks so that he is better about changing it).

There was a week that I was very sick and didn't change the litterboxes, and one of my guys got sore hocks for the same reason (Tony, a dutch). The lop (with extra-fluffy lop feet) didn't get sore hocks. I had one litterbox without a screen (they all have screens now) and that one got pretty gross and messed his feet up.

In all of these situations, I never noticed them walking funny. The heels of their feet were hairless and red, with some dry, dandruffy skin scales and I think one of the nethies had an actual scab at one point.

Bunnies will usually run away if you touch any part of their feet. ;)

I would recommend trying some craft plastic squares to put over the litter. These allow the pee to run through on to the litter, so their feet don't have to come in contact with wet litter. It also should keep her from eating the litter. If the plastic bugs her feet due to the hock, they won't work well. I got mine in the craft section of wal-mart. It is frequently called "plastic canvas" http://www.hobbycosf.com/plcash7co10.html

If the plastic grids work and don't bother her feet, or if applying the bag balm makes the sore hock go away, she should stop limping. If it's not just a sore hock causing her to limp, these things won't make the limp go away.

Here are some sore hock pics:
This is really bad:
gen_sore_hocks_websize.jpg

This is more like what I have seen on Tony and the Nethies:
photo_052808_002.jpg

another bad one:
DSC00086.jpg

exlrb23.jpg

This is more like what I saw on the shelter bun:
D0693a.jpg

This is the Library link on Sore Hocks

I am sorry I dont have a digital camera but tazzy's sore looks like the you see on Tony and the Nethies, but there is a little fur still covering the sore.

I am going to try to get another appointment at a different vet and ask them about the possibility of EC. I spent so much money and got treated very terrible at the original vet that treated tazzy's bladder sludge. I am so worried that they did something to her foot when they treated her because before she was admitted to the hospital she was walking and running around just great.

My rabbit did not have bad sores ; it is similar to Claire's (tonyshuman) description of what her buns had. it did not include the joint like in the pics of some of the severe cases.
I think that if it( the sores)included the joint of the rabbit it would be a lot more painful and might make the bun not want to put weight on it.

Some of thoses pics look so bad that it makes me think that some of those hocks should be dressed and bandaged. Poor buns!!!

Does Tazzy look like any of those pics?:nerves1

I understand what you are saying.; she could have a minor sore hock but maybe another injury from something that occured at the vet's . It's possible.

Hi All

I just want to thank everyone who posted helpful infomation and tips regarding my bunny tazzy's condition. She is all better now, walking perfectly normal, peeing alot and eatting lots. Thank you so much everyone for all your help I am truly grateful to all of you.

Back