Bladder sludge? And eyelashes stuck to eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kada

Reaction score
Is this bladder sludge or just normal calcium in my rabbit's dry pee?

I've been giving him basil for a few days after a long time. Is basil high in calcium or is it something else?

He has been eating a little less hay than normal due to a small molar spur that got trimmed a few day ago. Could this cause excess calcium in his pee?

Can I wait until monday to call the vet? I don't really have money to pay for a weekend visit to the vet..

Also he has been getting his eyelashes stuck in his eye a few times today. When I take the eyelashes out from the eye the redness goes down and the eye goes back to normal. He has never had this happen before and I don't know what to do to prevent this.

I feel like a horrible owner because he's been having so many issues lately, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1318741013.jpg
    Snapchat-1318741013.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10
Also he has been eating a little more pellets than usual because I've been trying to get his appetite back to normal after he was sedated for the tooth trimming. The pellets only have 0.8% calcium in it though so I don't know if that could affect it.

Also just noticed that the upper eyelid seems maybe a little swollen compared to the other eye. The eye itself isn't watery and there's no discharge. He only keeps it slightly closed when there's an eyelash irritating it.

Can an eye infection cause swelling in just the eyelid? Or is it possible that something poked the eyelid when he was waking up from sedation?

I also have his previous antibiotic eyedrops from his last eye infection but it's probably not smart to give them just in case?

I'm really stressed because I can't take him to the vet during the weekend. I couldn't even choose which vet to see because it's just whoever is in charge during the weekend.

If the urine is normal consistency and dries chalky, that is just normal calcium sediment. If the urine is thick and creamy, gel like, or gritty and pasty, dry or wet, this is an indication of bladder sludge.

As far as I can tell from your photo, that looks chalky to me and normal. However, it is more calcium sediment than I would like to see in my own rabbits urine, at least on a regular basis. Even if it's not causing bladder sludge, excess calcium excretion can overtax the kidneys and urinary tract if it's happening regularly. If this isn't what his urine normally looks like, the extra pellets could be contributing the the increased calcium seen in the urine. Will he eat more hay or any usual low calcium greens that you feed? Those would be better than extra pellets if he'll eat them.

Lowering Blood Calcium | House Rabbit Society (calcium content in veg)

If he was just into the vet for a trim and they sedated him, if they put gel in his eyes, that could be why the eyelashes are sticking. I would try using a plain sterile saline eye drop to help rinse the eyes out to see if that helps. And repeat for a few times, maybe an hour apart. If it doesn't help and the irritation worsens or continues, you'll need to consult with your vet.

If you're unsure or ever in doubt about a problem with your rabbit or if something is going on affecting their health, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
Medirabbit (contains graphic medical related photos)

If the urine is normal consistency and dries chalky, that is just normal calcium sediment. If the urine is thick and creamy, gel like, or gritty and pasty, dry or wet, this is an indication of bladder sludge.

As far as I can tell from your photo, that looks chalky to me and normal. However, it is more calcium sediment than I would like to see in my own rabbits urine, at least on a regular basis. Even if it's not causing bladder sludge, excess calcium excretion can overtax the kidneys and urinary tract if it's happening regularly. If this isn't what his urine normally looks like, the extra pellets could be contributing the the increased calcium seen in the urine. Will he eat more hay or any usual low calcium greens that you feed? Those would be better than extra pellets if he'll eat them.

Lowering Blood Calcium | House Rabbit Society (calcium content in veg)

If he was just into the vet for a trim and they sedated him, if they put gel in his eyes, that could be why the eyelashes are sticking. I would try using a plain sterile saline eye drop to help rinse the eyes out to see if that helps. And repeat for a few times, maybe an hour apart. If it doesn't help and the irritation worsens or continues, you'll need to consult with your vet.

If you're unsure or ever in doubt about a problem with your rabbit or if something is going on affecting their health, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine
Medirabbit (contains graphic medical related photos)
The dried pee looks chalky so it's probably just normal calcium sediment. Also his pee is normal consistency. He's eating more hay now so I'll cut down on the pellets.

He was sedated on Wednesday so I don't know if the gel can last in the eye for that long. I did clean his eye though and it's looking better for now.

And yes of course I'll call the vet when they open on Monday. I just noticed these after the vet closed for the weekend so I can't call there now..

Latest posts

Back