Bladder issue experience anyone?(RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your kind words. It's always hard and we second guess ourselves..."If only I'd seen it earlier"...."If I would have read the signs sooner"... I know better because I know how they hide their problems, but I guess it's human nature. I know her passing was for the best at this stage of her illness...it just doesn't make it much easier.

I'm sure they are serving Sweet Pea unlimited Cheerios in heaven. She's probably showing her affection in binkies and belly flops.

I am so sorry to come back here only to find she has passed. The worst thing about pets is that they steal our hearts and then they are stolen from us far too early. It's always too early for us. RIP Sweetpea.

This condition is somewhat common and can be very hard to notice. I have heard of breeders not knowing until something like this happens, or in the best case the doe can pass the dead kit along with another litter. The only external sign in many cases is infertility. Again, I'm so sorry.

Yeah, she did suffer from some infertility. She never was lucky in the breeding department. The only two litters that she had were two very small ones (three and two, if I remember correctly). The first ones she spread out and sat on and they died. The second it was just too cold to save them and they were really smaller than the norm. Then her next litter she absorbed and left only a patch of bloody skin. After that it was either absorbed litters or misses in her breedings. I'm wondering if there was always an underlying reproductive system issue since she had such a string of bad luck. Perhaps her hormonal level wasn't quite what it should be? It makes you wonder.

I am telling my other breeder friends about it. None of them have experienced it before, but now they're wondering is does they lost may have suffered from this same problem. From what I read, not all does will excrete any of the fluid in their uterus like Sweet Pea did...which was my first sign of major issues. Hopefully we can all learn from this and be more vigilant about looking for any signs. I am aware that the surgery would have ended Sweet Pea's life as a reproductive doe in my breeding program, but she sure was a great pet and would have continued to be. My bunnies are pets first and part of my breeding program second, so her life was certainly my priority. I'm just sad I didn't catch it earlier.

Latest posts

Back