Blackberry cannot walk, she is not eating (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spoke to the vet over the phone about Blackberry. She's had an X-ray and there was no blockage.

She is on Critical Care and making poops.

They are about to test for E. Cuniculi. I can pick her up in a bit. Right now my hubby is seeing if he still has his Care Credit account. Then I'm heading out.

If the E. C test comes back negative, then they will do more bloodwork.

She is stable, and eating well. But something is still wrong. So, we're going to start with tests and go from there.

The EC titer takes about 7 - 10 days to come back. Have the vet check her kidney and liver values anyway. Also have a urinalysis. I know these tests aren't cheap but I think that will real out a few things. Care Credit is the only way right now that I can pay for Smitten's care.

Well, she had blood taken for the E. C test. They also took the blood to do regular blood work stuff.

I was given critical care and some other stuff. I'll have to look at that bottle.

She has gotten into her litterpan to pee, drank some water. She's still a little unbalanced.

Now it's about keeping her fed and waiting for the results.

Thanks for all the support.

This may not be the case, here, but keep in mind there are so many potential causes for symptoms like this, it may not be cut and dried and may take some creative thinking to diagnose.

Here's an example. This is from a Peace Corps guide to 'Rabbit Production.'

"MILKWEED Poisoning - Paralysis of the neck muscles and lack of coordination. Head droops between front legs, and animal cannot eat or drink. General paralysis in advanced cases. Paralysis caused by eating leaves or stems of the wolly-pod milk-weed, Asclepias eirocarpa."

There's also a note on Etherbun about this from Lynn Larkin quotingPeter R. Cheeke states (Rabbit Production:page 162):

"Apparently there is a considerable variation among rabbits as to their susceptibility to the toxic properties of the milkweed, and the symptoms vary somewhat, depending on the quantity consumed and the length of time the rabbit has been eating it. Those that consume larger quantities of the leaves and stems, or those that are more suspectible to the poisons show more advanced stages of paralysis."

EDIT: ADDITIONAL -

Here's another blurb from the Edmonton EARS site:

Poisonous Plants
Contrary to a commonly held assumption, rabbits do not always reject poisonous plants. If your pet is permitted outdoors, you should familiarize yourself with the wild plants that grow in the area that he is playing in. Plants to be avoided include foxglove, yew, creeping buttercup and all plants from bulbs. Generally, do not let your pet eat unknown plant matter. Rabbit keepers should also be aware that Milkweed, a common plant found in North America, is toxic to all rabbits. Symptoms of milkweed poisoning are evidenced by paralysis. Treatment and cure for milkweed poisoning involve a slow process. Veterinary care is an absolute must.

And it should be noted that milkweed plants are occasionallyfound in hay bales, althoughthey'realso toxic to livestock so most hay farmers are dilligent. (Notall, though).

Just to throw that out there...

sas :pray:

We mixed up some Critical Care for her and she was a good girl and took it. Only, she fought a lot. :p She is feisty again. She also munched on some greens tonight. Not very many but she was very excited about them when I gave them to the others.

She's peeing in her litter pan, though she's a tad unbalanced doing so. Hubby removed her bottom platform so she can't jump up and down right now.

The milkweed reference is interesting.. I also have 2 other rabbits and 4 guinea pigs munching on the same hay.

I don't expect it to be cut & dry at all. I know with rabbits there are so many different things that can happen.

I'll keep you all posted. I'm off to bed.

Today I opened her pen to greet her. She insisted on coming out and walking around and sniffing for a minute or so.

She's got all these tiny little poops around her. Just gotta keep the output coming.

My goodness..poor Blackberry....but it sounds like she's a little fighter though.

I'm glad you could get her tested for EC....i wish it was that easy for me,i will have to get my girl Charlie tested for it soon...once the vet's find out who can actually do the test.

I hope your little girl is going to be ok.

SendingBlackberry lots of well wishes

Cheryl

Well, I totally missed something earlier. We left a pile of hay by her last night and it's gone! She ate it!

I mixed up her critical care and she ate it all up earlier.

Then I stopped in to vacuum the piggie pens and saw she was munching on some pellets. She didn't eat them all, but I waited till she was through to start vacuuming.

Cheryl, they told me they could do an EC test and the other bloodwork for $160. I paid for the entire balance of BB's bill with Care Credit.

country bunkin wrote:
Yes, she is still eating. Using her litter pan and all that. Still waiting on test results.

Thanks for the update! We are your friends, so, please feel free to post any anxiety you may have or anything! We are here to help, not just bunnies, but our forum members as well!:)

Let us know of the results when you get them!:)

Thanks, and I'm doing ok.

My husband and I realize that BB could go on to live a long life with us, or we could wake up to find her gone at some point. We have come to terms that the road may be rocky with her since she lost her mate.

We just want to enjoy every day we have her.

I also have a male guinea pig who is nearing 6 years old and time looks to be short for him. This could prove to be a rough year for us.

Just got to enjoy them while we got 'em.

country bunkin wrote:
Thanks, and I'm doing ok.

My husband and I realize that BB could go on to live a long life with us, or we could wake up to find her gone at some point. We have come to terms that the road may be rocky with her since she lost her mate.

We just want to enjoy every day we have her.

I also have a male guinea pig who is nearing 6 years old and time looks to be short for him. This could prove to be a rough year for us.

Just got to enjoy them while we got 'em.
You're certainly welcome:)! I hope BB has a long life too:)! As well as all your pets. It's so hard when they go. I hope you don't have to deal with that for a long while!;)

The vet called me on tuesday and asked how BB was. She told me her regular bloodwork looked good. I'm still waiting on the other tests.

Thanks for your concerns, everyone!

BB is still eating on her own. When I let her out to play, she plays a little differently now. She spends a lot of time underneath the guinea pig pens, where she spent time the night she got sick.

Sometimes she will come into the living room to explore or follow me into the kitchen to ask for food. She might do a binky, then go back to her bedroom and hang out under the guinea pig pen.

aww, BlackBerry, keep getting better!

Actually my guy had the same symptoms over the winter, and it turned out that he did have an inner ear infection. I think Randy is right on the money with this one!

keep us posted!

Back