blackberry branches/ leaves

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
We have a full grown blackberry tree behind where we live...its on an empty lot and I'm not sure how it got there but it's there...was wondering if its okay for my sweeties to chew on the branches or eat the leaves?? Why not take advantage of that big ol tree...all its doin now is dropping blackberries everywhere so we squish them with our shoes and stain the carpet when we come in :X. No one lives on the lot or really cares for it other than cutting the grass so I'm pretty sure no pesticide has been used on it ( its a huge tree ) so was going to cut some branches for them to gnaw on ( they probally wont even like them, they totally ignored all the logs, chew blocks etc I bought from the pet store..but its free so worth a try right?) Just wanted to make sure they would be okay before I brought them into the house..Thanks!

KoReY

I have previously bought raspberries from the grocery store and neither of them liked them so that's why I didnt mention the actual berries..I'm assuming they are basically the same as raspberries except for coloring.. so they probally wouldnt like them either

Are you sure they are raspberries? Raspberries don't grow on trees, but on brambles. Mulberries do grow on trees and look similar.

Mulberry. The white mulberry has lobed leaves and the black mulberry doesn't.

Wild Raspberries; 3 or 5 leaflets, notice the thorns! Stems upright and arched.

Actually, either way, the leaves are ok for rabbits to eat.Both berries are edible too (humans and rabbits), but like any fruit, for rabbits the berries should be limited to treats.

Hope this helps!

Well...I thought I was sure:pbut after going to look at the tree when I saw this post I see that it is indeed a mulberry tree...Lol I was sooo confident when I wrote that post to! haha ...well no miracles here raspberries still do not grow on trees :blushan:

Can they chew on the branches?? I think I read somewhere that its okay for them to chew on apple tree branches ( umm but I wouldnt put money on it..I THINK thats what I remember it saying) I'm trying to get them to chew on something other than hay to keep their teeth wore down..they werent interested at all in the things I bought from the pet store..they do chew on phone books and reading books and tear apart the umpteen million cardboard box hideaways I have in the room but hopin to add something I know will help keep them wore down..and since I dont have access to any other fruit trees/leaves/branches was hoping maybe these were okay..thanks for the help!

I never tried giving Hershey branches to chew on. I have read here that if you give a rabbit apple branches, they should be dried first to remove the sap, as sap can be irritating. I would imagine if they liked mulberry branches, they would have to be dried also.

Mulberry leaves are on this list as safe. Always feed fresh young leaves it says.

The twigs are not on the safe list, so I don't know about those. I think the sap of some mulberry species is white, and contains a halucinogenic substance, so that would not be good to give. I don't know whether the fruiting mulberry contains it, but I'd not take the chance.

The fruits are edible and taste quite good, actually, so that would be ok too, in limited amounts of course.

Well I definitley dont need hallucinating bunnies lol...they already run around at 90mph and act insane..I dont need them seeing a 58 foot carrot thats not there... so I'll stay away from the branches =)

Thanks for the input :biggrin2:

KoReY

Latest posts

Back