black spots on fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennykon

Reaction score
Hi,

More than a year ago I noticed some black "spots" on my bunny's fur. As I didn't know how parasites look like, I took him to the vet and she suggested to inject him (in 3 doses). After that the black spots didn't exactly disappear but were significantly less. At the same time, this injection had an effect on his fur and became more hairy. He repeated the same process a few months ago, but the black spots are almost everywhere now.

Do you have any suggestions? To give you an ideal of what it looks like someone sprayed him with pepper...

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

I don't really think it's fleas...I don't know, but fleas jump, right?

Check the belly around the legs and what would be armpits and behind the ears for bugs, and yes fleas jump like a world class athlete. It does look a lot like their droppings, but if I remember right, they have a reddish tint because of the blood content when they void. Might give one of the flea and tick remedies a try.

Do you know if it was ivermectin that he was injected with last time? If it was, and your rabbit has fleas, that would be why it didn't get rid of it. Ivermectin works on mites but it doesn't really work on fleas. You need to use either Revolution(selamectin) or regular Advantage(imidacloprid), both are considered safe for rabbits and are applied topically. Just don't use Frontline(fipronil). It is toxic to rabbits.

Revolution seems to work really well. You have to get it from your vet. You may be able to just call them up since you've already been in for this, and tell them the problem is back, and ask for some revolution. If your rabbit happens to have mites, the revolution works on those as well.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

Last edited:
could be fleas, could be fur mites. I've be giving him some ivermectin to get rid of them. BUT you'll also need to treat the areas that he lives in...tossing bedding, removing carpet etc, otherwise the problem will just continue.

Thank you all for your answers. I am sure now it's mites-they are tiny and i can barely see them on my bunny. I will definitely call the vet and ask specifically for the products you suggested. I am aware about frontline, I use it for my cat but never ever for my bunny! :)

Latest posts

Back