black nail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessmc03

Reaction score
When i was cutting gabby's nails today, i noticed one of them was black and extremely short. there was a little blood at the jagged tip of it also. A few weeks back I had noticed a small amount of what i questioned to be blood in her cage, but i inspected her throughly and couldn't find where it could be coming from. obviously i was wrong when i assumed it wasn't blood because i couldn't find a source.what should i do?should i take her to her vet? thanks guys!

That happens to my bunnies sometimes too. I think they snag their nails on the carpet when they run around real fast but I'm not sure. Surprisingly I've never seen any blood...it always comes as a complete surprise when I'm trimming their nails and I see "Whoops, where did Ronnie's thumbnail go?"

It sounds like your bunny has just snagged a nail and it has healed up already. I don't know enough about it to tell you whether or not to go to a vet so hopefully someone with more knowledge can step in!

Was it not black before a the initial incident?

I had a mini rex that had one black nail, but I assumed it was a previous injury. She also had one that stuck out from the rest, on the end. Someone just recently pointed out that Snuff has a nail that sticks out too. Seems it's joint issue?

Anyone have experience with that in relation to the black nail thing at all? It kinda scares me that Snuff has a loose nail, finger, whatever you call it:?.

Is this what you would call common?

I don't know about the black nail thing, but Amber has a nail on her back left foot that curls out to the side. Our vets have never expressed any concern about it. And she's only snagged it once that I can recall.

Yep, Matt, I forgot to mention it last night, they do have nails that curve backwards, there is a term for it too:?.

Anyway, Angel had one, so, not to worry. I just want to look into the joint thing and the hangy nail:?.

Latest posts

Back