black bug crawling out of bunnys nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muchloveforbunny

Reaction score
As some of you may know, my bunny died from sudden convulsions and death on Friday.

The remaining bunny is doing fine. But she was running around. And Inoticed when I went up to her there was a small black bug crawling fromher nose.

Does anyone know what this could be? If so, it might be an indicator of what killed my other bunny.

WhenI brought them to the vet, I told the vet that they hadbeen itching. But the vet insisted they had no mites or anything. Andif they did, they would be white.

Still, I have noticed the itching. And one of my cats is itching too-- a thing he never used to do ever.

This bugis black/dark brown, like a very tiny beetle, which crawled from her nasal airway.

Thank you.

add-on: I wanted to add that it was as smart as a flea. When i tried topinch it off to examine it, by the time I slowly opened my thumb andforefinger it had disappeared. But fleas are more cynlinder-looking.This was more round and very small.

another add-on: I'm very worried.I have two adult cats. I don't want them to die, too.

Was your rabbit vet knowledgable? It could havebeen a bug from outside that just happend to be in her nose? I reallydon't know.

hi thanks for your reply,

my rabbit vet is one of about just five in the town. she said she hadrabbits and specializes in them, so i assumed she knows rabbits.

i was thinking maybe since the rabbit was running around the room,maybe she got into a corner and picked up a spring-time buggy. but thebug behaved like a flea, but did not look like a dog/cat flea. also,this is a newly constructed apt building. i havent seen any bugsreally, just one spider. also, she is an indoors pet only. all of myanimals are indoors. but these were new bunnies.

i wanted to look in the bunnys mouth, because she was tearing at thecarpet. i saw a small red thing on the carpet and got alarmed, thinkingit was blood. i dont know what the red thing is, still. but i dontthink it looks like blood.

when i lifted her mouth, i saw this small black/dark brown bug crawlout of her nose. she was very docile when i picked it away. i have herin her cage now in isolation from the cats.

i was hoping someone knew what this was. im trying to educate myself soi can ask/cross-question the vet more efficiently. if any recognizesthis bug, id appreciate any info. thanks.

:yuck:bump

Maybe it was a tick, ticks always seemed to findtheir way into my grandparents house and then attach to his cat. mostof the ticks ive seen around here are black and brown.

Crisi1987 wrote:
Maybe it was a tick, ticks always seemed to find their wayinto my grandparents house and then attach to his cat. most of theticks ive seen around here are black and brown.

hey crisi,

it was the size ofa head of a sewing pin, very small. i knowwhat you mean. we used to have so many ticks where i used to live.

no its definitely not a tick. ticks are much bigger. this was much smaller than a deer tick.

we dont let our animals out. we live on the third floor. also, werekind of weird in that we dont wear our shoes in the home either. theyare always by the door.

im wondering if it was a flea, but i just didnt recognize it. i thoughtfleas were cylinder-shaped. this was more a dot-shape. but maybe it wasjust hatched. im not sure.

thanks for your reply. :bunny19

im relived to see that no one thinks its a parasite?

that was what worried me most. one of those deadly parasites. but im not sure if parasites are visible.

i just wanted to know what y'all thought. thanks!

:bunny19

Hmm I'm not sure about parasite. I think usuallythe deadliest ones are internal.. but I'm just taking a stab in thedark. Have you only seen the one case? It could have just been a chancethat it was in your bunnies nose.

Eww! I'm stumped on thisone. If it doesn't look like a flea, and it doesn't soundlike a tick (although I think southern areas do have a very small tickspecies) then hopefully it's just a randomnon-harmfulinsect. Maybe your bun accidentlybreathed him in?

Flea Beetles (aka jumping beetles) are very tinyand jump like fleas, however, I don't know of a species that is aparasite of animals -- flea beetles are a pest that eat plants.

Pam

naturestee wrote:
Eww! I'm stumped on this one. If itdoesn't look like a flea, and it doesn't sound like a tick (although Ithink southern areas do have a very small tick species) then hopefullyit's just a random non-harmfulinsect. Maybe yourbun accidently breathed him in?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking :dunno

hey, i just wanted to update... the vet didntknow. she examined for bugs closely and didnt see any signs. shethinks, like you guys do, it was a fluke.

even tho we dont wear our shoes inside, maybe a little tick attacheditself to our sock, because we took a walk the other day near a lake.so maybe that is what it was. i think i got paranoid with my otherlittle bun dying.

thanks for trying to help me figure it out:mrsthumper:

Latest posts

Back