Bizarre bonding behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynameisjeff

Reaction score
Last night my partner & I had another bonding session with our two male rabbits (both are fixed adults). A quick background: We adopted the two as a bonded pair who were inseparable until last September, at which point they began fighting. We think the fight started from the scent of some ear medication one of the boys needed. Last night's "date" was the second in two days. Our hope is to give them up to 15 minutes per night, in a neutral space, & see what happens. We've had about a dozen bonding sessions over the past year, but always end them early because a fight is about to start. Last night was different.

So we put the bunnies on the table, and they sit for about a minute ignoring each other, which I figure is good. At this point we are petting the bunnies and spreading their scent around. Then Austin, who usually is not comfortable with extended petting or touching, settles down into a comfortable spot and just stays there. I was thinking that maybe he was hurt or upset, because he wasn't moving much. Simon came over to him a couple of times and did little attack lunges, but we were able to gently pull him away and pet him, telling him no. It was all very civilized, and not what I expected. Then Simon began to groom himself in front of Austin, which I'm thinking might also be a good sign. After about 10 minutes we put them back in their cages and heaped praise on them.

So here's what I'm wondering. Was this a successful second session? I'm thinking perhaps the fact that it was just a day since the last session may have made a difference. We plan to have another session tonight. The part of the session that puzzled me the most was when Austin just laid down, since it was so out of character for him.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have! Thanks-

Jeff

Sounds good to me. When Im bonding, my main rule is that if they're not fighting, its going well :)

Ignoring is good, grooming (even themselves) is good too. Sounds like youve done your research on bonding..it just takes time and patience :) I would continue with what youre doing...hopefully eventually they will groom one another.

Also, I always end the bonding session with something yummy like a few raisins as a reward.

Good Luck and keep us updated!

-Haley

PS..a squirt bottle with water (accompanied by a loud'NO") works great on biters!

It sounds good to me as well and I agree, if there is no fighting and flying hair, it's going good! Basically if one is 'attacking' (lunging or chasing) it's fine as long as the other backs off. It's a dominence thing as well -- when I bonded my pair I had no mounting what-so-ever, only the dominent one chasing the other.

I would continue the 15 or 20 minute sessions until all that behaviour stops and then I'd lengthen the time together. I wouldn't rush it, especially with 2 boys -- not that I think you would rush it. :)

Oh and by the way, the grooming in front of the other rabbit is definitelya good sign! Only a relaxed, calm bunny will groom themselves.

Thanks for the input!

Quick update...Last night's bonding attempt featured even more ignoring, and no physical contact at all, which was interesting. They seemed very calm though, and Simon groomed himself again, which I assume is good news, or at least VERY CUTE. :)

Jeff

Latest posts

Back