Bitting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyrabbit12345

Reaction score
My daughter 5 month fixed bunny Trixie has been bitting us lately if we pet her she stops. But sometimes we don't even have a chance to pet her just starts to bite ! How can I stop her?
T

Sounds like she is a sassy bunny that wants to show you that she is the boss! Now you need to step in and tell her "no, I am the boss!" When she bites do NOT reward her with petting. If you pet her everytime she bites it just tells her that when she bites she gets what she wants. Instead discipline her by going "No" everytime she does it or another word/noise she does not like. Also if she bites when you try to pet her, ignore her. If you see her about to bite, offer her a treat to distract her. Then she knows that when she does not bite she gets treats! Also give her a treat when you do something that normally causes her to bite and she doesn't. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Are you reaching into her cage to pet or remove her when she bites? If so, this might be cage aggression. Let her come out on her own. If not:

When reaching to pet her, don't move your hand straight towards her face. Instead come in from above over the top of her head. I actually watched a video about this on Facebook that was made by a man with a bunny rescue. He deals with a lot of aggressive and shy bunnies in his work and he demonstrated the correct and incorrect way to go in for a pet with these type rabbits. It was amazing to watch actually because when he moved his hand level with her nose, bunny charged. But when he went over her head and came down with his hand to stroke her, there was no drama.

No she does not bite in her cage or when we pet her on the ground just when she jumps on our laps the she bits our bellys or arms and will stop the second we pet her ! We started making loud sounds when she bits and will only pet her when she is being nice

Ohhh! That's bunny language for don't stop petting me, or it could mean that's enough. It can also be a playful thing. My son has had plenty of nice shirts with holes nipped in them. Rabbits love to dig, even on you, and they explore and sometimes speak with their teeth. My son started putting a blanket in his lap and over his belly when his bunny did this. She's older now and has grown out of this antic.

Latest posts

Back