biting question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
I sold a lionhead to a girl and she had him for about 6 weeks or so and her live in boyfriend was allergic to him so I said I would take him back. So one time I was feeding him and he lunged at my hand but didn't bite so I just thought hmmm I'll keep an eye on him. Well yesterday I took him out of his cage and was holding him and petting him and all of a sudden he took a chunk out of my palm. I was so shocked. He is 5 months old so I know puberty can effect him. I also just was handling a couple of my other bucks before him so he could have smelled them. I guess what I would like to know from you guys is when do you make the decision to not keep a rabbit if it has bitten. Do you have a one time rule, 3 strikes your out .......what do you guys do. I don't want to breed any mean rabbits into my line and I have never been bit by one of mine. His father also lunges when I feed him but backs off right away. I am wondering if i should get a new buck to replace the father and same with the one that just bit me. I have a 3 year old daughter and I don't want to be nervous about her being around any that could bite. So what is your policy?

It sounds like a hormonal thing. I totally understand not wanting to breed in a biter, even if it is caused by hormones. Could you sell him as a pet and get him neutered? He'd probably make a very nice pet for someone once the hormones were gone.

I would not breed him, but it sounds hormonal and possibly also a result of his previous owners. He could make a fine pet, just as long as he's neutered and in a free-range/huge cage type environment.

First off, make sure it's a buck... double check. I do have a 3X strike out rule. But they have to be totally unprovoked, no known reason for the attack and they have to be serious bites. I do forgive hormonal does and bucks, moms on litters or any rabbit while I'm breeding (in and out of someone else'scages). And 99% of the time, all I see are lunges and feigns... maybe a quick nip... serious bites are really pretty rare.

If I can, the animalwill get spayed or neutered and observed for a couple months to see if the problem is corrected. If it is, the rabbit goes to a pet home. If it isn't... (and I've only had to resort to his ONCE in over 12 years) I will put the animal down. My rabbits are all very large,over 14 lbs., and can inflict serious damage to a child or unaware adult. I would NEVER forgive myself if someone got hurt because of one of my animals. I am totally responsible for that animal being in this world... and I feel responsible for any damage it does.

Give him a try with clean hands before you have handled any other rabbits.

I have one rabbit who does the lunging thing but never bites, she just bumps her head into your hand. However, if I have been handling one of my other rabbits a lot (especially scent gland cleaning), she gets very aggressive and I can't do anything with her until I wash my hand several times and let the scent wear off (takes a couple hours).

She is bonded to another rabbit though, so she's not anti-rabbit, she just doesn't like anyone other than her mate in her cage space. I just can't handle her when my hand smell like another rabbit. If my hands are clean, then she's fine.

So I always do her nails and grooming before any of the other rabbits. And she is fine with that.

Explore that possibility with this rabbit. In that case he would be fine in a pet home with or with out a bonded mate if he can be bonded.

-Dawn

i know when i got missy and grey bunneh, they were different at first, missy was pregnant and she grunted alot but that is different lol. grey bunneh, would love to come out of his cage but not at first, he would nip and when you got him out he was fine..

I would not cull him, that to me is a heartless thing to do since it sounds like the typical hormonal teenage stage and after a neuter he can be a happy pet bunny to someone! I'm dealing with the hormonal stage now with my 5 month old English Lop foster, but he was neutered a week ago and I know he will calm down in a few weeks.

Yeah, he could be a fine bunny for a person who knows that he needs his space, a neuter, and a free-roaming living situation if possible. We get bunnies like that at the shelter. They often get worse while at the shelter, but if we send them to a foster home where they don't have to be picked up often, their behavior really improves in 90% of cases within a couple of weeks.

Back