Biting and running

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbruck137

Reaction score
My 13 week old rabbit Bentley was great when I first got him, he would snuggle and let me flip him and even cut his nails. But now every time I pick him up he flips out and runs away and he bites hard a lot. He also digs and scratches a lot.
He is not neutered, but I am considering it. Is he just going through hormones or is it something more? Please help!

Well I would make sure HE is actually a HE, cause I have does that do that when their hormones go crazy and they are in heat. Neutering him is an option. As for the biting, give him stuff to chew on - sticks etc... anything that isn't your hands! Also give him a look over and make sure he isn't hurt.

I think Bentley is starting his teenage hormones. Neutering should help with that behavior.

I don't think rabbits go into heat like cats and dogs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read here, they are induced ovulators so they just ovulate in response to mating.

Common behaviours that come with sexual maturity are circling feet while making a humming sound, spraying, being territorial about your hand in his cage, biting (hard) , lunging, and grunting. My bun Thumper went through all of this. He started out as a sweet little boy and turned into the devil. Now it's a month after he's been neutered and he's a sweetheart all over again. Though remember that neutering may not solve everything. It depends on the rabbit but it should calm those hormones down. Although never back down to a biting bun otherwise it won't be hormonal behaviour it'll be learned after awhile. What you do is put his his head on the ground and hold it for 2-3 seconds while firmly saying no. It usually works because this is what the mother bunnies do! If that fails then a cage timeout for about 5-10 minutes will do. But you'll have to not use his regular cage because you don't want him to connect his little cozy den with bad behaviour so find an alternate cage. It doesn't need to be huge but enough space that he can hop 4 times. But if your rabbit displays any of those behaviours listed then he's in for a neutering, but make sure his testicles have dropped before making any plans

Sounds like a teenager. Rabbit or human, they are hard to live with. I told my mother I was gonna bury my daughter in the backyard and her reply was don't, you'll go to jail. I told her that when my lawyer picks my jury, I want everyone one it that has a teen at home. My mother thought about it for less than a second and told me I'd get acquitted. Neutering is the only hope and most will go back to old behavior, but not all. Also, keep in mind that you should train the rabbit and not let it train you.

Back