Bird owners

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, Watermelons mentioned things that are toxic to birds. I've had birds for so long that all that stuff is second nature to me! Things that can irritate or kill birds:

-scented candles
-anything scented really (perfume, air freshener)
-nonstick pots and pans (this is a big one!) or anything with nonstick coating like many toaster ovens, baking dishes/muffin tins, waffle irons, hair dryers (yes, hair dryers have nonstick coating)
-nail polish
-chemicals/cleaning supplies

They're even more delicate than bunnies. Also I really hope you don't feel everyone's piling on you, I'm sure you're a great owner. It's just best to really think a decision like this through. I had 2 years to research cockatiels before I got mine and was still surprised by some things (like how much dust they make!), I'd imagine conures have even more to learn about.

I say, stick to bunnies. I had this same thing happen, I wasn't a huge fan of birds, and then I saw this green cheeked conure that was just the cutest thing and I fell in love. I researched birds for a while and then decided to get him. He made a lot of mess. He was loud. He needed a lot more attention than I could give him and about 6 months later I couldn't take it any more and I found him a good home. Unless you are 100000% sure, just visit birds somewhere, they are a huge responsibility. IMO

Back