BioSponge Testing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ra7751

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Many of you are aware of our testing of a horse product called BioSponge. We are using it in cottontails in an attempt to manage enterotoxins caused by the bacteriaClostridium that is commonduring final weaning. This bacteria can be fatal if left unchecked. Keep in mind that the climate in the GI of a weaning cottontail is the same as a domestic suffers during a serious GI disruption. While we only have a small sampling and a brief time during out tests, initial results are quite promising. So promising in fact, that I feel somewhat comfortable in using this product. The cottontails that came into rescue several days ago were presenting with the initial symptoms of a major GI issue. Not only had they not eaten in a couple of days, they are also approaching the 21 day wean (cottontails wean much quicker than domestics and the wean is much more violent). Weaning in a cottontail is a real challenge sometimes. They made a noticable improvement within 24 hours and are now very active and eating aggressively. Their ears are "up" and they are very alert....and eating everything in sight. I initially added BioSponge to the formula. I am nowdoing a "sprinkle" on their wet greens.

I am not suggesting that anyone use this product. I am suggesting that it be part of a discussion with your vet if your rabbits suffers a GI event. I doubt that many small practice vets are aware of this product and I don't even know if there is any info on the VIN about it's use....something I will check on. Even if your rabbit isn't experiencing an issue right now, this might be something to mention to your vet so he/she can research the use of this product. I am willing to share any info I have with your vet. And it appears this product may be very useful in other species.....particularly parvo dogs. A very interesting product. More info as we see how things pan out with our test group.

Randy

I had not seen your link nor the material in the brochure. I do have the clinical testing data from Platinum Performance and this brochure pretty much follows all the technical data. But that is good that it is being tested clinically in other species. We aren't clinical by any means....just a "seat of the pants" move of desperation due to the loss of so many of our animals. I do like the product. Just peeked in on my cottontails....they have devoured a large helping of Spring Mix already today and are working on a huge pile of grass, clover and dandelions from my yards. So it appears to be effective. All of my group of volunteers are "tickled pink" over our success. Not only will it allow us to save more wildlife...especially bunnies.....but some of my vet volunteers are going to use BioSponge with parvo dogs. And I am also very impressed with the customer service at Platinum Performance. They were very open in providing what has to be internal information when they found out what I was looking for. Ordering was a breeze, delivery prompt and they follow up with you on your order to make sure things were to your satisfaction. You guys just have no idea how stressful this season has been to my entire group.....it's nice to have something go right for a change.

Randy

Have you shared your info with the NC vets?

Bowman? New Hope in durham and of course Avain and exotic?

I am glad to hear things are going well or least better...

Back