Bio-Sponge vs. Questran (Cholestyramine)???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
One vet has suggested that I put our Zoe on Cholestyramine (aka, Questran) due to her long abnormal liver values (ALP/ALT). Apparently, she's had success with it in terms of regulating such values.

I've read that Questran dries the digestive tract, so a bun taking it requires extra fluids (namely sub-Q's) for as long as it's administered. The vet said that she's never seen a bun require extra fluids while on it. So I'm confused on this front.

Then there's the product known as Bio-Sponge, that supposedly works on detoxifying the digestive tract. (Questran is more for detoxifying the liver, far as I know.) So I'm wondering:

1) Can Bio-Sponge be used for the same beneficial results (for detoxifying the liver and intestines)?

2) Does Bio-Sponge require that a bun taking it also receive a lot of extra fluids?

3) Does Questran really require that a bun taking it receives a lot of extra fluids?

Thank you,

Jenk

BioSponge binds and filters the enterotoxins caused by two specific strains of the bacteria Clostridium. It seems to have other beneficial qualities too. We are using it in all mammals coming into wildlife rescue. It has been a life saver.

Questran does require extra hydration. It is not the easiest drug to use because of this. It is also sometimes difficult to find. The hydration issue is the primary reason we don't use it with wildlife.....you have to flood these tiny babies with fluids for the drug to be effective.

Randy

A few more questions based on your answers:

ra7751 wrote:
BioSponge binds and filters the enterotoxins caused by two specific strains of the bacteria Clostridium. It seems to have other beneficial qualities too. We are using it in all mammals coming into wildlife rescue. It has been a life saver.
Question #1:Are you saying that you now use Bio-Sponge in place of Questran?

Questran does require extra hydration. It is not the easiest drug to use because of this. It is also sometimes difficult to find. The hydration issue is the primary reason we don't use it with wildlife.....you have to flood these tiny babies with fluids for the drug to be effective.
Thank you for verifying what my written source states about Questran. I can't afford to dehydrate my Zoe's gut, whichfunctions improperly and "dries out" on its own. I see no point in giving a drug to fix one issue only to cause another. :p

Question #2: Are you saying that the use of Bio-Sponge does not require any additional fluid supplementation? (I'm guessing that's your drift but just want to be sure. :D)

Thank you,

Jenk

I do know that Bio-sponge isn't absorbed into the body from the intestines--it just stays in the ingested food. It wouldn't help with liver detoxification, I think.

Back