Bigger, Moist poop... Problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zicheri

Reaction score
My 3 and a half month old flemish giant (Winston) has been doing great since I brought him home 8 weeks ago. These last few days, though, I've been finding larger clumps of poop that are more moist. Sometimes there are smaller, typical poops stuck in them.

Nothing has really changed in my house. His food as stayed the same and I haven't been giving him treats (nothing but pellets and timothy hay so far). He does eat his wooden toys and nibbles on some of the furniture, but nothing new since he's been with me.

I did give him a corn stick from the pet store a week ago or so... but I would think that would have passed by now.

It has also been very hot. I keep the AC on for him but parts of my apartment can get up to 85 during the middle of the day. He has access to sit in front of the AC and I also keep fans going so the air is always moving. On very hot days he has ice bottles in his cage, too.

Is something wrong, or will this pass? How worried should I be?

-Emily

Are the big poops like piles, mushy, tubular, or normal spheres? Flemmies should have big poops, and when they're fresh they should be still a bit wet, but since you say he's still having normal poops in addition to the large ones, I am thinking they are not normal.

Winston's typical poops are like cocoa puffs. Perfectly round. These are more like a fun sized snickers bar (sorry if I just ruined cocoa puffs and snickers for anyone) and so they take much longer to harden. Could this just be that he pooped a lot at one time and it all gobbed together?

I haven't seen anything strange today and he's still his happy self (just hopped out to say goodnight to me). I just noted a change and I know he's not going to tell me if something is wrong.

Hmm... that sounds more like something to worry about, unless, as you said, it's a bunch of poos stuck together. I would give him some probiotic--it's my favorite first plan of attack for any poop issue. Probiotic is also good to have on hand for any bunny owner too. Bene-Bac is good and can be found at pet stores, and Probios can be found at farm supply stores. If neither of those is available, human acidophilus capsules will work.

Latest posts

Back