Bigger is Better?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwolfec

Reaction score
So Bunny has free run of the house during the day, but I still like to put him to bed in his cage at night. He has kind of outgrown it, but he doesn't mind since he is only in there at night. I also introduced a new baby bunny to the family, and she lives in a pen, with no actual "cage."

I don't want my big boy to get upset with a new cage aaaannd a new baby bun. He's already going around making sure to rub his chin on my shoes, chair, etc. Is changing a bunny's house stressful on them?

What sounds better: giving Bunny's old cage to the new baby, and upgrading his to a bigger one? Or leave his the same and buy the new baby a cage to go in her bunny run?

Thanks for the input!

In my opinion, bigger is always better :D But if you don't want to possibly cause him stress by getting him a completely new cage, you could just get him an xpen to attach to his cage. My rabbit has a pet store cage that I got him and it was fine when he was little, but as he grew up I could tell it wouldn't be enough room for him as he could hop across it in one jump. So I just attached a big puppy pen to it--that way the cage is his base for food, water, and litterbox, but he can come out of there whenever he wants and binky/flop/stretch/run circles to his heart's content. Now if I ever shut him in the cage (like when I vacuum) he gets mad and paws at the cage door/grunts at me, lol.

I like the attaching the xpen idea that silversky had, that is the route I would probably go if I was in that situation.

If that might not work for your lifestyle, it is very common for people to be getting rid of dog crates online. You can get a Large size crate for about 1/2 the price (just make sure it has a plastic bottom or every hop will be super noisy!)

It's very nice that he only has to be in it at night, but bigger really is better when it is taken into account that rabbits are most active at dusk and dawn. A bigger cage will give him more room to expend all that 5 in the morning energy!

He might be a grump the first day or two, but he will greatly appreciate the added room.

Thanks, all! I am taking the advice and giving big bunny his xpen setup. No more being squished into his too small cage. I ended up buying the new baby a cage anyway, so she'll have her own space too, but she has an xpen setup as well! So both bunnies have more space and should be happy, hoppy bunnies! Yay! :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back