Big enough cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizardvine

Reaction score
Hello! I have a large 9 pound formerly stray nowhouse bunny. We had her spayed and she litter box trained like a pro,however the only cage that I could find for her that is large enoughhad plastic clips. As a dutiful rabbit she ate through these ratherquickly. I have her in a smaller cage with no plastic but it is toosmall for her to be in. Our compromise is that she has free rein of theporch but I can't always let her do this. Does anyone have asuggestion. It is also in my house so I prefer it to look presentableand allow her easy access in and out.

Hi! We made our rabbit cage usingmetalshelving cubes. You can buy them from Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot,Office Max, etc. They are essentially squares that you connect togetherto form shelving units. They are really inexpensive and you can makethe cage as big or as little as you like. We used nylon cable ties tohold the panels together and plywood for the shelves. The rabbits can'tchew through the ties. I've included a picture of our "Bunny Condo" anda list of websites with instructions and more pictures.

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL340/1902777/4059110/51239301.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nic.html

Oh yeah, I wanted to add that I have even draped aquilt over the top of our cage because it sits right in ourliving/dining area. The bunnies really like the coziness ofthe top shelves now and actually spend more time up there since Icovered the top. It also looks a little less "metal" if you know what Imean. It only covers the top and sides of the top level, thefront and bottom levels are still open :) But it helps it blend in tothe decor a little better.

Have to put the plug in here for the cage I pickedup recently. I have two buns (medium to large, haven't bothered toweigh them yet but I would guess they are between 6-7lbs) that sharethis cage and it looks nice put together even indoors. Plus the bunniesLOVE it. We just put two boxes under the door to make stairs for themand they love going in and out on their own now. Here is the picture,and a link where I bought it. Dimensions are 43"Wx28.5"Dx 47"H.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DFIX/cafenocturno/104-4712005-6256721

Welcome Lizardvine,

Since Buck Jones isn't available to answer, I'll post his reply to another person on the question of cages.

Go on line and query subjects, such as, "pet cages, animal cages,rabbit cages, rabbit supplies, rabbit accessories" and the like, inorder to get some idea of what is out there. Rabbit supplyhouses will sell you materials/tools to build your own. TheAmerican Rabbit Breeders Association site has plans for rabbit housing,as do other such sites.

I make extremely functional and user friendly rabbit cages from dogcrates we purchase at yard sales and flea markets for nominalsums. I make a wooden frame of 1" x 3" pine, with1/2 x 1/2" vinyl clad hardware cloth(wire) attached, that I suspendinside the dog crate with hardware hooks above the slide in/out tray.

The beauty of this conversion is that the door is easily opened, yetcan be securely closed; the top swings openforeasier cleaning and maintenance; the dog crate is tall enoughto permit bunny to stand up; crates tend to be roomy and substantiallyconstructed; crates can be easily disassembled forstorage purposes; and, purchased at yard sales and fleamarkets, tend to be incredibly inexpensive. For me, such aset-up, including crate, cost of lumber and hardware clothusuallyis no more than $20.00 maximum.

Buck Jones

Oh, thank you, Carolyn! Here I amsitting in the library in Springfield, TN wanting to answer but notreally having the time, and you, a life saver, step in!That's mighty nice of you, for a Yankee, that is!;)

Will be in transit for rest of day and will try to log in over the weekend, but things do look busy for me.

Thanks again for posting the dog crate conversion.The steel cube thing looks pretty good, though, I must say.

Buck

junior_n_sweetpea wrote:
Hi! We made our rabbit cage usingmetal shelvingcubes. You can buy them from Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Office Max,etc. They are essentially squares that you connect together to formshelving units. They are really inexpensive and you can make the cageas big or as little as you like. We used nylon cable ties to hold thepanels together and plywood for the shelves. The rabbits can't chewthrough the ties. I've included a picture of our "Bunny Condo" and alist of websites with instructions and more pictures.

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL340/1902777/4059110/51239301.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/nic.html
The first link is an outstanding cage. I love it. Its so beautiful.

Anyway I built this for Flopsy. Its a two story condo type deal

Flopsy wrote:

The first link is an outstanding cage. I love it. Its so beautiful.

Thankyou Flopsy! My son and I had alot of fun building it. It is sosturdy too. We made it so we can remove the three center panels forcleaning. I can actually get right inside and vacuum it out with noproblems. I love the two story house your bunny has in his cage! Itlooks so cozy, I bet he never wants to come out.

I loved that first cage... Dont think i ever seenit before. Can you give me a idea on how much it cost to dothat. Right now her cage is little and i have a sec cage beenthinking about trying to use some wire cutters and clamps to put themtogether for more room.

Cristy

Cristy-

I got the wire panels for $9.99 a box (from Target). I think I used 31/2 boxes of them. I used about $8.00 worth of nylon cableties. We had the plywood for the shelves and bottom floors already. Thevinyl floor covering (on the bottom) was free from our local flooringstore. They were going to just throw it away because it was such asmall piece. Iused an old rug for carpeting for the uppershelves.We did buy wheels for the bottom so we could move itaround, but you wouldn't need to. I think total cost wassomewhere around $60.00. But it is really huge (for two bunnies). Infact, my 4 year old can stand up inside it! You could make one halfthat size for much cheaper and still have a bigger cage than you canget at a petstore.

thanks for the information. I only have onebunny. My husband says no to another one. There is one at the animalshelter i pet when i volenteer but i cant bring any petshome. I could get away with doing half the size as yours.Will save this page and look it up when i have some extra money comingin.

Cristy

JR. & SweetPea,

The cage I made is aboutthe same size as yours, but Icouldn't seem to get the round connectors to latch securely, did you doanything special to make your's stay together? Also I was planning onmaking a "lid" using closetmaid shelving, but it was so tall once I gotit done that I'm not sure I would use it, do you think you would useone if you had it?

Also saw that you could use metal J clips, did you use them?

Cristy,

I just wanted to tell you that the wire shelving cubes are on sale atTarget right now for $10 a box, regular price is $15. Also the setsthey sell there have more grids in them than the ones they sell atWalmart for $18.... Walmart's make a 4 cube shelf, Target's make a 6cube shelf... so you getabout 7more peices of gridat Target.

Megan

I bought to 4-foot by 4-foot puppy kennels for each of my bunnies. They really enjoy the extra space.

Megan-

I used the plastic connectors and then reinforced them with the nyloncable ties at every corner (4 at each corner). We made the three centerpanels into a door. I used the cable ties on one side and used metalhooks to secure it closed. This way we have easy access to all 3 levelsfor cleaning.

I did make a (much smaller LOL) cage for our ginea pig withsomeleft over grids and a plastic storage container for thebottom.I just used the grids to make a lid for thetop. I attached them at the back so it just swings up so we can get himout.

Iactually just boughta few boxes from Target (theyhave white and black) and used them as shelving in all our closets! Ilove those grids! I bet I could find a million uses for them!

That is double sided velcro. When we first builtit we just left the three center panels removable and held them on withthe velcro. It didn't take them long to figure out how to pull off thevelcro! We have since attached the three panels together into one pieceand then attached them on one side to make a swinging door. We use ametal hook to keep it closed. They haven't escaped since :)

Back