Beware or Kaytee hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
As far as I know we don't have it here, but I just wanted to warn those that feed it to watch out. A girl on another forum noticed that her rabbit was off her hay and not eating much of it. When she was giving her hay one day she found the bottom half of some small rodent (legs and long tail). So be careful!

A couple years ago there was a dead snake in the hay that we got from our local farmer.

It must be so much worse to find the parts of a furry critter. :(

It's not uncommon to find dead critters in baled hay. A farmer isn't going to know they are running over a critter hiding in the hay field.

I would think though that the store bought hay would be "cleaner" since it's processed and bagged.

Ya it wouldn't suprise me to find something like that in a big bale of hay from a farmer, but not something you buy from a pet shop.

The bunny also ended up getting sick and had to be treated by a vet. The pet shop is being really good about it, they gave her oxbow hay and treats and are helping her get in touch with Kaytee since they won't answer the phone when she rings them.

Oh boy, Are they sure it's from the hay? Did they have it tested? Was it contaminated? I wouldn't think it would make them sick even though it seems really gross to us :confused2:

I'm glad to hear the pet store seems concerned and that they are trying to make good on the issue.

It is very easy to find creatures in baled hay even worse if they are live and living under it. But it should be better with processed and bagged hay but not always with as much hay that is processed and it is done by machines it is easy to miss something like that. Im so sorry about the girls rabbit. I'm glad to hear that the pet store is helping her out.

We bale up a skunk every now and then. Generally only in large rounds and then the cattle people often have no issue taking it off our hands.

Kaytee hay does tend to be dried out poor quality stuff though. If you can't get entire bales locally it's much more cost effective and you'll get insanely better hay ordering large amounts from kmshayloft.com or getting oxbow online. It seems like it costs a lot since the shipping is often as much as the hay but when you divide it out it costs less than getting those little bags in the pet store that have been exposed to who knows how much heat and sunlight. Even oxbow straight from the company and oxbow in stores is not the same thing. Unfortunately you can't order directly from oxbow anymore and have to use when their suggested online vendors.

Cost effective is going to get a big 50 lb bale as long as you keep it safe from rain and such it will last you forever and save you money in the long run. Idk maybe thats just me. But even so its still great in nutrition otherwise I would not feed it to my show cattle and show horses as well as my rabbits. just a suggestion.

Not everyone can find bales. Especially good quality bales. I'm in the middle of farming country and finding good grass hay here is near impossible. I have to go with alfalfa or clover mix. Everyone wants legume hay for the horses and cattle. Most grass only hay is half weeds. Some people also don't have anywhere to store a whole bale. That's why buying bulk hay online from good sellers is the most cost effective some people can get.

It's not just Kaytee hay....

Me and my sister found a dead grasshopper in our current bale of hay. Not to mention there are so many sticker bushes in it, it's absolutely ridiculous! Next time, I will buy hay that was grown on a sticker-bush free pasture. :/ I have to sort out the hay that I can give to the pregnant/nesting does, because I don't want babies getting caught up in those stickers. That would be a whole mess of problems.

Shaded-Night ran across a rat? or some weird creature in her bale of hay that she got at a local feedstore.

:/

Emily

No, dude.
I've run across three different mice in three different bales from Kiperts.
makes me SO mad.

One of the times (the first), I missed it and left it in a cage with L69 and her five babies for a night. Came back in the morning, and they had been eating on it. I didn't even realize what it was until it happened the second time. And they STINK. The smell doens't leave your hands for hours.

>.>; Not chill with me. BUT! The last bale I got was perfect, and hecka green and fresh. Guess that makes up for it. XD

Ick! I've never found a dead mouse in hay, thankfully, but I've found plenty of dead bugs!

Oh, and one time I found a meteorite! No kidding - it smelled really bad and made the hay smell gross, so I had to throw out the hay. But we were so curious about the weird stinky rock we found at the bottom of the hay, that I saved it and brought it to my college geography professor, who sent me to the astronomy professor, who told me that it's a meteorite.

We kept it and have it on a shelf in our kitchen haha. Luckily after it aired out for awhile, it didn't smell nearly as bad anymore.

Eww thats disgusting!
Just don't buy hay from there for now on, ive never had a problem with hay but I breeder I know got some hay and it carried the Rabbit Calicivirus and it killed about 40 of his rabbits! He brought it from a farm.

Latest posts

Back