BEWARE OF FRESH BAGGED SPINACH!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishmist

Reaction score
DO NOT GIVE FRESH BAGGED SPINICH TO YOUR RABBITSFOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS... IT HAS BEEN LINKED TO AN ECOLI OUTBREAKIN 5 STATES AND ONE DEATH!

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM GIVING IT TO YOUR RABBITS!

someone might want to sticky this so it is seen by all

wow..thanks for the info.

When you say "Fresh Bagged" is that like the stuff that comes in a sealed bag? I dont ever buy it, but good to know.

Yes it is the stuff that comes in the sealedbag. They did not give the brand name that I have heard, Iwould beware of it all!

I used to buy that stuff all the time forus! I won't buy ANY produce in a bag anymore. Therewas a similar problem with Dole bagged salads a couple of months ago.

Scary!

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I won't buy ANY produce in a bag anymore.
It depends. We supply BeansSprouts to the food industry.And most of the stores(Safeway, IGA)have switched to our packagedproduct. We have machinesthat package it very fast. Theyprefer less handling andexposure of our sproutsto consumers when it was soldin bulk. And theydon't like consumers pickingthrough the bulk. Bean Sproutsdon't grow in soil. It is asimple process of germination andsprouting in four days.

E. coli wasprobably spread throughcontamination by fecal material. It couldof came from water exposedto animal wastes, orspread on as fertilizer(manure). A farmwithcows and a water source (pond)would have a high chance of E. coli.

And you are taking a chance when you eat anything raw.

Rainbows! :)

Oh my gosh!!!

What are we going to do!? *panics*

My friend told me she lost 4 rabbits,possibly to the spinach or another unknown cause.....:(

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=903466&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

[align=right]

photo_servlet

Spinach Causing E.Coli Outbreak

Mean Green

Related Items
Videos

SpinachCan Be Healthy, But...

WAUWATOSA, Wis. (AP) -- A 77-year-old Wisconsin woman died of kidneyfailure related to E. coli poisoning a week before reports surfaced ofa 20-state outbreak connected to bagged spinach that has sickeneddozens, her son said Friday.

Marion Graff, of Manitowoc, died of kidney failure Sept. 7 at St.Vincent's Hospital in Green Bay, Russell Graff told The AssociatedPress. The kidney failure was caused by an E. coli infection, he said.

Health officials are still asking the family questions to determine howhis mother, whom he described as active and healthy, contracted E.coli, said Graff, 51, of Fitchburg.

"She liked her lettuce. She liked her spinach. She liked her fresh fruit," he said.

The news was first reported by the Manitowoc Herald Times Reporter,which confirmed the death through the Manitowoc County HealthDepartment after receiving permission from the woman's family.

The department confirmed to The AP that the county had the state's only fatality connected to the outbreak.

The death is the only known one so far in the outbreak, which
grew Friday to encompass at least 100 cases in 20 states.[/align]

Look at this site and please read!

I'm so sorry for your friend's losses.:sad:

Did she get the rabbits and the spinach tested? If she hasn'tyet, tell her to call a good rabbit vet. Get any remainingrabbits in to the vet and have necropsies (animal autopsies) done onthe ones that died. It might be the spinach if they wereeating it, but it could also be mold contamination of the pellets or adisease. Different causes would need different treatments soit's really important that she gets a vet to find out the cause.

This was posted on Etherbun. Oh, andthe woman who died lived only a half an hour from me. And Iwas hungry for spinach.:(

The CDC web site reports cases in the following states (CDC lists more
states than are listed in the below article): WI (29), UT (11), NY
(7), OH(7), MI (6), NM (5), OR (5), IN (4), ID (3), KY (3), PA (3),
CT (2), ME (2),CA (1), MN (1), NV (1), TN (1), VA (1), WA (1), and WY
(1).

These are the recalled brands posted by the AP this morning:
Bellissima
Cheney Brothers
Coastline
Compliments
Cross Valley
D'Arrigo Brothers