Best toys for bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsy

Reaction score
After christmas I plan on buying a bunch of toys for my pets and I was wondering what toys your bunnies like and if you could attach a picture.

What materials should I look out for?

Thanks in advance.

My rabbit likes to play with a ball that has a bell inside of it. Its a cat toy but my rabbit loves it. He also plays with plastic baby keys and toilet paper rolls. Sorry I don't have any pics of it.

If there's one thing I've learned, don't waste your money on "bunny" toys!

Plastic baby keys are very popular, as are plastic slinkies, whiffle balls, plastic cat balls and plastic baby links (you can buy like 24 of the links at Walmart for $4... look for that package, as there's another brand of the links that's not nearly as good a deal).

Dollar stores (the ones where everything is actually $1) can be good sources of bunny toys if you look around with an open mind. In addition to the various hard plastic toys I've already mentioned, untreated wicker baskets are also fun for bunnies and often found at dollar stores.

Old phone books for shredding and big cardboard boxes (no colored inks) they can "rearrange" by chewing holes/doors in are free and lots of fun.

Tunnels are great too. We love the Ware fun tunnel in 8'' diameter (it comes in 4'' as well but my girls outgrew that by 12 weeks old and they're dwarves) which collapses/can be bent and is hard plastic so it's easy to clean... they also loved their crinkle cat tunnel from Petco (better than the Walmart one, imo, since it's longer - 5' instead of 3', iirc), but I had to throw it out after we moved in with my boyfriend and they got into a pee war with the cats over it (eww!). Another great tunnel option is to get a "concrete form" at a hardware store (they come in various diameters, are 4' long tubes and are made of cardboard so they double as chew-things.

Mine also like the pop-up cat cubes from Walmart, which are pretty cheap and can be connected together (though I'm about to have to replace many of them because they've been chewed so much ><). Their favorite chew toy (that they're actually *supposed* to chew on) is ware willow balls - if you can afford to buy a bunch at once/stock up, this site is the best price I've found (you can always pick one up at Petsmart first to see if it's a hit or not).

I have a website where I sell stuff for sugar gliders (adorable little marsupials), but I gave Nala and Gaz a page of my store for bunny-related stuff - if you skip to about 2/3 of the way down the page, I've got some videos from YouTube of bunnies playing with plastic keys and slinkies. A little further down is a picture showing the remains of a decimated phone book - just below that are links to some of the toys we like (the tunnels, for example, though I need to remember to go add the link for the concrete forms). In the picture of their condo at the very bottom, you can see the baby links from Walmart hanging. Gazzles really loves to grab the end and swing it around! I've also got a link to the section in my blog where I built an agility course for my girls - that's a bit pricier and involves some DIY work, but it's TONS of fun to do agility training!

Now that Stache is getting settled, I'd like to get him some toys. How do I get him to interact with them or do I just put them out and what happens happens?

Some toys can be interactive, slinkies in particular.

I forgot to mention one of Nala's favorite toys, or at least it was the last time I tried it (which was months ago) - a plastic spoon. That's right, a 1c plastic spoon. If I held it out, she'd grab it from me, wave it around and throw it :p.

Today, Gaz is playing with a disposable aluminum roasting pan (2 for $1 at Dollar Tree) that used to have veggies in it... I'm not sure if she's entertained by it or just wants more veggies, lol.

Aside from tunnels, though, toys have been hit-and-miss and often had to be left laying around and ignored for quite some time before they figured out what to do with them (cardboard boxes and phone books, for example).

My daughters bun who is 4 mos old loves her double sided cat toy with bells. He picks it up like he's lifting weights. He also likes craft sticks that are untreated. Toilet paper rolls and his plush fox that he snuggles with. He gets lonely! The bell toy we just put it near him and he will either push it or pick it up and move it. The toilet paper rolls he chews and throws around the cage. We are getting him baby keys and he loves his boxes also. Plus paper bags he plays with also. Go cheap. Most of this stuff is free or very inexpensive!

Latest posts

Back