Best site to buy a cage online?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy :biggrin2:

Depends on whether your buns are indoor or outdoor, and how much run time they get. The general rule is the bigger the better, but I know there is a minimum size. I made mine from NIC storage cubes held together with zip ties. It allowed my cage to be custom to suit my needs. People also use x-pens normally used for dogs. I also use a dog crate for Faith as she is separated from Humma (they're not bonded yet). I use the x-pen as a room divider for now. I'm not a big fan of commercial indoor cages bc they seem expensive for not a lot of room, and they don't really allow a fully customizable floor footprint. But I have used a commercial cage with an attached x-pen before. Works just fine.

Sorry, I'm rambling....hopefully some of the really experienced owners on here will jump in with some great suggestions! There are tons of great ideas! Happy hunting :)

I like the commercial crates, but that's me. They all have their individual space and then I have a nice big x-pen for them to get some exercise, with a nice bunny run outside.

I think the NIC crates are really the best for pet rabbits. I'm surprised the creativity of a lot of bunny owners who have this type. Plus with a nice x-pen, it's perfect for any pet bunny.

Lots of good information in the Library section of the Forum about NIC crates. And also a few thread where people do show off what they have for their pet bunnies.

K :)

It depends what you want. I like the xpens because I can sit in one & visit with Honey. You can check out what they have at drsfostersmith.com & amazon.com. or just do an online search for xpens. Amazon also has nic cubes, which are used in many ways besides for pets.

I use an Exercise Pen (aka, Ex-Pen or X-Pen) I got from Amazon, and they shipped it free to Hawaii (which surprised me, considering it's a heavy item).

Midwest 36" Exercise pen with door.

You can easily configure it to different shapes to fit your needs, and if you want to give the bunns some outside time, you can fold it up to take outside and set it up in the yard.

I find an X-Pen to be a better environment than a cage, but if you really want a cage, Amazon has a selection of those as well. Look for larger dog crates, in addition to rabbit cages, because most "rabbit" cages are too small.

As others have suggested, you can also build a really nice enclosure out of those wire cube shelving panels (aka, NIC panels). Avoid the ones from Target (their holes are too large). Get the ones from K-Mart, they have 1.5" holes, and are the best value for the 6 cube set (usually $22.99, but frequently on sale for less).

Aloha from Kapolei! Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back