Best Rabbit Clippers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMMIE

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been spending at least 3 hours a week grooming my angora mix and i just don't have the time to do so at the moment due to exams. Because of this I am considering shaving her again. I have previously purchased some clippers but they are appalling so i am doing my research before buying some more...
I have a fairly tight budget of £45, does anyone have any suggestions as to what clippers to buy?
Thank you

Sorry, I mean for the hair, other people may call them shearers?

I have a cross mix angora and I use a medium tooth comb to groom his hair. I groom both the top hair and then use the comb to brush upwards from underneath to get rid of the knots. If I find the odd matt I can´t get out, I do sometimes cut them but, in general, if I comb him two or three times a week, it usually keeps his hair neat and knot free. It used to be a bit of a nightmare as he hated it but he now tolerates it really well and lets me just get on with it. I always notice that as soon as I let him down, he rushes off to groom himself and do it how he likes it. I´ll try and take a photo of the comb and I´ll also post one of my big fluff ball.

Here´s the photo of the comb I use, it wasn´t expensive and I find it better than anything else I´ve tried.

And here´s the fluffy offender Bandy with is little pal Snowy, he is so cute I can never get mad at him for long.

How about a photo of your little girl. Would love to see her.

I doubt you will really be able to get a decent pair of clippers for that price. If you just have one rabbit, I would suggest finding a rabbit groomer or even a vet to shave her down.
If she is not matted, you can carefully use scissors, but you need to be very careful not to cut the skin. If you can get a comb between the skin and the scissors, it does help.

I am not sure what brands of clippers would be available to you. You really do need a good pair of dog clippers, I know the run about $150-200 here. Both Oster and Andis make good quality clippers as well a clipper blades.

I use a furminator for grooming (including the longer fur on my lionhead, though it's thin and not prone to tangling), but I doubt that would be effective for an angora.

I once used a pair of cheap pet clippers ($20-30) on my Holland Lop because I got fed up with her explosive shedding (had the clippers sitting around anyway and figured "why not?"... I ended up giving up partway through, as they weren't very effective. If cheap clippers don't work on a short-haired Holland, I can't imagine they'd work on an angora.

As Korr_and_Sophie said, getting a rabbit-savvy groomer to do it is probably the best option if you need her shaved and can't afford more expensive clippers. If you decide to use scissors, you have to be very careful as rabbits' skin is extremely delicate (caution is needed with clippers as well, as they can get razor burn from them easily if shaved too close to their skin). I recommend using one hand to hold up a section of fur and the other to cut it - if you hold the fur between your index and middle finger and have your fingers right against the bunny, then cut just above your fingers, you can cut the hair quite short without any risk to the bunny (since your hand is between the scissors and their skin). I've trimmed some of the longer fur on my lionhead that way.

I had a groomer groom harlie once before but she wants around £18 per groom, so long term i think i am better to buy my own clippers...
does anyone have any experience with these clippers?

Oster Home Grooming Clipper Kit 220V = £45
Andis Clippers - Easy Clip Ultra Clipper Kit for Dogs - 1 Kit (10 Pieces) = £20

Are they any good?

Latest posts

Back