Best option for outside hutch/cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattatrattery

Reaction score
I want Shay to have fresh air here and there and I would LOVE to get her a decent size cage that she could spend some outside time in. I found this hutch on craigslist, but when I went to pick it up it was full of spiders. So, that was a no go! What is the best outside hutch that can be ordered that isn't ridiculously priced? The hutches at Petsmart look a little small to me. Im going to check out two feed stores today and see what they have to offer. But, I would love any suggestions that yall would have. Thank you from Shay n me!:hug:

Well my suggestion Brie is that if you have came from not thinking u wud b a rabbit person to falling head over heals in love with Shay, then I think u need to go all the way and put shay in your room :nod

Hmm I thought I just posted to this one, it didn't work!

Anyway I found this one...

http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/price/outdoorhutch.htm

The pastureland hutch with the playpen. I thought it was cute and is onsale.

I am hesitant to puting my rabbits outside though, however it would be nice to just for some fresh air. I worry about fly's and, like you said... spiders learking!! Does anyone have an opinion about puting rabbits outside temporarily for fresh air? Can adult rabbits munch on grass? How quickly are fly's attracted to rabbits? Will they strike immedialty or, only if the rabbit is in poor condition for instance?

I have a Midwest playpen like the one pictured below outside on our back porch for outside time on nice cool days. I just use a sheet with binder clips as a cheap cover for extra protection. The deck is 6 feet off the ground with a railing and roof, but it's better to be safe then sorry. I'm going to end up purchasing the matching wire clip on top for it soon. Little more stable than a sheet.

That pastureland hutch is cute, but way too small. Here is what I use.

pPETS-3760678t400.jpg

Do you have a friend who's a hobby carpenter?

BTW I bought a used cage and didn't noticed it was infected with roaches till I got home. So I found roaches in my car, back yard, AND in the house.

Flies don't bother clean rabbits. If you see flies around a rabbit you can bet it needs a butt bath.

If you're just going to have them out a few hours a day, look into something that lays on the ground so they can munch on the grass. One that can be moved easily around the lawn so you don't develop bare spots. Don't know what it's called but people do that with chicken too.

Fancy77 wrote:
Well my suggestion Brie is that if you have came from not thinking u wud b a rabbit person to falling head over heals in love with Shay, then I think u need to go all the way and put shay in your room :nod

:inlove:
Yah, she is in my room. She wouldnt be outside for long, I like being able to see all my animals at all times haha but I know she would enjoy the change of scenery.
The cheapest option would probably be the playpen idea, but Id worry the dog would try to mess with her if she was on the ground. My uncle builds rabbit cages, its 100 for all the supplies which is not bad at all, but he has been really busy with work and it leaving town. I just got back from a feed store, they had a hutch for 130, it was decent size and off the ground. Im going to get it tomorrow it think. :bunnydance: Ill be sure to post pics!

Back