Best litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kep12091

Reaction score
I am currently using carefresh litter for my Bunny, but it hadn't even been a week and ive used a whole bag already ! I was wondering some cheaper alternatives for litter would be. I've heard shredded newspaper ...

I'm currently using Yesterday's News paper litter or the PetSmart brand of paper litter depending on the price & where I'm able to get it. I've recently considered switching or at least adding horse stall wood pellets which at the local Tractor Supply costs just less than $6 for a 50 pound bag, I think that is right from my memory. I'm looking for a grid litter pan system or a grid to work in my current cat litter pans. As I understand it the wood pellets disintegrate when wet so don't want the "sawdust" to be on my bunnies' feet. Others will hopefully be along shortly to give you more info as to what they use & how it works for them & their bunnies. If you do decide to switch to wood pellets make sure that if you use the wood stove pellets that the don't have any accelerant. That's why I decided if & when I try wood pellets it is the horse stall wood pellets which are close to the same price as the stove pellets.

I use Carefresh too and to save money I ordered 6, 60 Liter big bags of it online from Pet Mountain. It worked out to about $13 a bag compared to $20 a bag at the local stores. I tried Yesterday's News, but it seemed like it cost about the same compared to how much I was using and I can't tolerate the smell of the pine pellets. I think I must have a pine allergy or something because my sinuses were burning. I do wish I had an even cheaper alternative, but the buying in bulk thing is the best I can do for now.

Are you putting the bedding in the whole cage bottom?

My rabbit doesn't have a cage, but she uses litter boxes. She has two that I use the horse stall pine pellets in. I get them from TSC for about $6 for a 40lb bag. They last me a few months, maybe 2? I don't keep track really because the price is so low. I dump her litter box every two day and scoop out the pee parts everyday. I waste a good bit, but try not to by using a really thin layer of pellets. And the pellets biodegrade, so they can be added to your compost. They turn into saw dust.

Lowes and Home Depot will have their wood stove pellets out now, for pretty cheap too. You'll just have to find the ones without accelerant. I think on the bag it will say whether it has it or not.

Shredded newspaper is cheap to come by, but it isn't very good at absorbing the smell of the pee. I used to use shredded newspaper with my lop and it was a bit of a mess because its not absorbent.

If you're using bedding in the whole cage, I would suggest taking that out and using a litter box. It will help with the bedding costs and the amount of bedding you're using. Not to mention, its much easier to clean. Or you could be using a litter box and I'm totally wrong! LOL

Are you putting the bedding in the whole cage bottom?

My rabbit doesn't have a cage, but she uses litter boxes. She has two that I use the horse stall pine pellets in. I get them from TSC for about $6 for a 40lb bag. They last me a few months, maybe 2? I don't keep track really because the price is so low. I dump her litter box every two day and scoop out the pee parts everyday. I waste a good bit, but try not to by using a really thin layer of pellets. And the pellets biodegrade, so they can be added to your compost. They turn into saw dust.

Lowes and Home Depot will have their wood stove pellets out now, for pretty cheap too. You'll just have to find the ones without accelerant. I think on the bag it will say whether it has it or not.

Shredded newspaper is cheap to come by, but it isn't very good at absorbing the smell of the pee. I used to use shredded newspaper with my lop and it was a bit of a mess because its not absorbent.

If you're using bedding in the whole cage, I would suggest taking that out and using a litter box. It will help with the bedding costs and the amount of bedding you're using. Not to mention, its much easier to clean. Or you could be using a litter box and I'm totally wrong! LOL

Her first few days I was using bedding all over the cage but I think that confused her so I stopped and have been just using litterboxes. However I have been cleaning them constantly because they get Dirty so quick !!! I just bought another bag of paper litter from Petco until I find my alternative. I may try the wood pellets I just don't wanna confuse her more she is new to me and I've already changed her litter situation .

If you decide to switch to wood, you could transition her to wood. Like, half wood pellets, half paper. That might help. Over a few days, just to get her used to the way the wood pellets feel under her feet.

I'm currently using Yesterday's News paper litter or the PetSmart brand of paper litter depending on the price & where I'm able to get it. I've recently considered switching or at least adding horse stall wood pellets which at the local Tractor Supply costs just less than $6 for a 50 pound bag, I think that is right from my memory. I'm looking for a grid litter pan system or a grid to work in my current cat litter pans. As I understand it the wood pellets disintegrate when wet so don't want the "sawdust" to be on my bunnies' feet. Others will hopefully be along shortly to give you more info as to what they use & how it works for them & their bunnies. If you do decide to switch to wood pellets make sure that if you use the wood stove pellets that the don't have any accelerant. That's why I decided if & when I try wood pellets it is the horse stall wood pellets which are close to the same price as the stove pellets.

I use cat pine pellets (petsmart brand) with a little bit of carefresh (got mine buy one get one free) the "sawdust" is wet so I don't find that anything sticks to my bun!!! Also binkybunny.com has a grate thing that goes on top of the pine pellets !!! They have different sizes too so I'm sure you can find one that fits your litter box !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

I have a couple buns that don't have a grate over the litter and one who doesn't have hay in the box (he hardly eats is, so gets some in a dish). Hay in the box does help keep the litter in and the bunny off the litter. My buns don't dig, so I don't have issues with that. For the one who doesn't have hay, he only pees in the corner, so it does kind of stick together. Even after it dries out a bit, it still doesn't get everywhere. I also scoop his pan daily, so that helps with any build up.

I have been using wood pellets for like 7 years now and haven't had an issue with them. I have been through quite a few brands and don't seen much, if any, difference other than the cost and maybe the size of the pellets. I have also had a few foster rabbits and they have not had issues going from one litter to another, most don't come with any litter so have a sudden change.

Hi I use Carefresh ultra. I have 3 litterboxes I use it in. I have to dwarf rabbits. It takes me over a month to get threw a 50 Litter size bag. I don't know how you fill your litterbox this may help you save if you want to continue using that bedding. I put about 2 inchs high of the carefresh spread out in the back of the litterbox and then because I don't use hay racks I fill the rest of the box up with hay. The rabbits only pee and poo in the back of the box while they eat hay. I clean their boxes out every day. Maybe that might help you save on litter.

Here is a pic to give you an idea of how I fill my litter box up.

pictures 010.jpg

I use a medium sized litter pan. One end I put 2 handfuls Yesterday's News with one large handful Carefresh on top. Hay at the other end. For me this works great because the combo of the two litters keep each other in place and Sophie eats her hay nicely and pees and poops where she's supposed to. Odour control is great, I have her condo in my living room and it never smells. I do however clean out the pan every morning. The litter lasts a long time because I'm not using that much of it.

Latest posts

Back