best litter??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday's News is fine to use. I used it for a while, but my buns loved to entertain themselves by kicking the pellets across the room. I switched to Carefresh and have been very happy with it. A more economical litter is wood pellets. Many people here recommend them.

I just changed to yesturdays news for my lionhead rabbits from the carefresh because the carefresh kept sticking to their fur. But when i had short haired bunnies i used carfresh and they did good with it. Ive heard good things about the wood too but like the carefresh it sticks to lionheads fur.

I used to use yesterday's news but switched to wood pellets. The wood pellets are much cheaper and I find them to absorb the smell a LOT better. I use a grid over my litter box and if I need to I can go a week or more without changing the litter and there is still no smell. When I used yesterday's news I had to change the litter every few days as the smell would become terrible.

MagneticLove wrote:
i have heard about the wood too but does it neutralize the smell?

I have no problems with the wood burning pellets for my rabbits.

For your litter box, you should try the wood pellets. It is so much cheaper and it would last longer than the Yesterdays News.

The best litter for your rabbit....and for your checkbook.....is plain old horse quality hay. And it will give them another option for eating hay. We use hay in every one of our litter boxes. As far as the rabbit, all of the other litters present potential problems....not so much with hay.

Randy

I think you can buy wood pellets at petsmart but in the cat litter section(feline pine??). But its cheaper if you buy them at a hardware store(homedepot, rona etc) or at a farm supply store( pellet horse bedding)

I buy mine at homedepot for 6$ for 40lbs bags.

degrassi wrote:
I used to use yesterday's news but switched to wood pellets. The wood pellets are much cheaper and I find them to absorb the smell a LOT better. I use a grid over my litter box and if I need to I can go a week or more without changing the litter and there is still no smell. When I used yesterday's news I had to change the litter every few days as the smell would become terrible.
I agree 100%! Using YN for the rabbits was terrible. The smell (even after scooping out wet areas) smelled like musty/moldy newspaper.

I use scented YN for the rat litter boxes and it does a good job for them, but never for the bunnies. I also have to check literally every piece of the YN for pieces of metal/plastic :rollseyes.

I use a type of wood pellet thing, can't remember what its called right now. But its made to be used as animal bedding/litter. I get it at Del's for about 4 bucks a bag. And the bags are at least 20 lbs.

Latest posts

Back