Best impulse buy ever...but question on future names.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelightfulEccentricity

Reaction score
If you want to skip the superflous fluff of me rambling about my buns and go right to my actual question, skip to the last paragraph. I'm full of rambling, sorry! ;)

So yesterday I drove a couple hours away to pick up a few nice New Zealand rabbits, and while I was there I started drooling all over the beautiful Mini Rexes this lady had. I fell head over heels for the most gorgeous self-black. And right when I was waffling...out came a little tort.

I'm a sucker for Torts, by the by. Did I mention that? ;) However, I do love Rexes (I can't stop petting them, thank goodness all but one of mine seem to love being stroked!) and these are show-quality, and the lady seemed really pleased that they would go to a home where they'd be shown...she even gave me an impromptu lesson on how to pose them for show and made sure I can read and understand all the footnotes on their pedigrees, and encouraged me to get them registered as soon as they are able.

My only question is this: the "name" on their pedigree is basically the lady's rabbitry name followed by their ear tattoo number. When registered, will that HAVE to be their name? I'd obviously keep the rabbitry name in their title (she did breed them after all and if they do well in showing, I want to make sure she gets full credit!) but instead of, for example, the name "KR051", could I make it something a little more...poetic? For example, I had a horse once named "Dutchmaster's Delight", which (while I didn't like it all that well) is a little more fun to say than a string of letters and numbers. It won't break my heart if my gals get saddled with a name similar to R2D2, but I figured I'd ask anyways. :)

My camera totally died last week, but I am borrowing my roomie's camera to take pictures of my little bunny-kids today; hopefully she can get them online and email them to me tonight. :) The black is just stunning (to me anyways, I love a true black coat!) and the tort is the cutest little bean of a bunny ever. :)

You should really ask the breed if she is ok with you changing the name on the pedigree. It can change their records of the rabbit has been bred (probably not an issue in this case if they aren't old enough to be registered yet). I think that most breeders should be ok with it, but it would be polite to ask first rather than just assume.

You can still call them whatever you want regardless of the name on the pedigree. The name on the pedigree is more of a record of the rabbit. It can't be changed once the rabbit is registered and it is probably not a good idea to change it after you breed them as that can be confusing for records.

I can't answer your question because im not a member of ARBA and I don't know their rules.

But..ask the breeder if you can change the name on the pedigree, she will need to know the name so she can update her records.

Definately ask the breeder before you change the name on the pedigree but it's just a pedigree. You can call the rabbits whatever you like. A rabbit also gets a number when they are registered. There's no escaping numbers lol. I just say it's only a piece of paper for record keeping *shrug*

Latest posts

Back