Best group combonations?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharfly

Reaction score
A friend of mine is expecting a litter of netherland dwarfs and I have been promised a baby. I have a neutered male and Nova should be spayed and healed when the baby comes. She bred a broken black too a black otter and I would love a broken otter(Is that what they call it? lol) or an otter. So if there are more then one of the color I want what sex should I get? It will be fixed and hopefully bonded to my 2 :)

It's really hard to say what you would. Trios can be tricky and really depend on the individual rabbits involved.
Females do tend to be more territorial and an established female might not appreciate a new one. However, some females do get along well.
Males can fight, but also tend to be better once neutered. It does seem rarer to have 2 males, but it can happen.

If possible, you can take your rabbits and maybe meet another fixed rabbit of both sexes? This might help to determine if they are more receptive to one sex or the other or have issues with one.

Males are cheaper to neuter than females, so that can be a factor for some people.

Do keep in mind that they might not get along as a trio. It is risky to bring in another rabbit with the hopes of a trio. You can end up with the original pair broken up and one going for the new rabbit. You could also have the pair go against the new rabbit. Just be prepared for a long bonding process and it not working out.

I would decide which sex you would prefer (if the choice does arise) and go for that. If they end up bonding as a trio, that is great, but if not you still have a nice rabbit.

Thanks! I don't know anyone with a spayed female, another friend of mine is neutering her boy next month. The litter is not due for another 2.5 weeks. This is her 1st litter so no guarentee on live babies or her being a good Mom.
Spaying here is $50 more, so cost isnt much of an issue. So I will wait and see what the litter looks like and decide from there. If the 3 don't bond I have no problems with them in different cages and them taking turns in the play pen. :) I will have to wait and see I guess :)
There are so many breeders in my area, so if a trio doesn't work I could always have 2 groups of pairs... lol. My friends already say I am crazy :)

Latest posts

Back