Best age to use young buck as stud?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I have a doe who has trouble conceiving. More than likely the problem lies with her as she had an infection (now cured)after giving birth the last time.
I am still hoping to get another litter out of her by maybe using a different buck (although the one I've used several times is proven)
I also have a young buck who I wanted to use to mate with her later in the year. He is only about 3 months old. I am not sure if he is mature yet and I certainly can't see any testicles. Is it worth a try? Is there anything that speaks against it?

If his testicles haven't dropped yet it would probably be best not to breed him, but if you did breed him it could work.
Common practice is to wait until a rabbit has reached sexual maturity, meaning his testicles have dropped and he shows interest in breeding, before actually letting him do so.
However, it is all your decision. Best of luck.

There are really no drawbacks to trying a buck early. He doesn't have to concieve, carry, kindle, care for, and wean a litter. Those are the major stressors involved in raising a litter, and the reason we wait longer on does. But as soon as a buck is ready, it's fine to breed him. Usually the earliest they can successfully breed is 3-4 months of age. If his testicles have not dropped, you'll want to wait until they do. You won't get anywhere with a breeding if his parts aren't all ready yet. :p

Is it possible they have dropped but he's just retracting them inside his abdomen when you check? I don't really know much about it but I heard they can do that.

Latest posts

Back