Benji's health is failing... (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katattack

Reaction score
Typically Benji acts like a little puppy — hopping around cage, always active, always wanting attention — but today he's been lying down and hunched over a lot. He hasn't eaten since last night, nor has he drank water. I also noticed that he's very limp. I held him earlier, and he wouldn't move on his own. And, now, his ears are feeling cold..I can schedule an appointment with the vet for tomorrow or should I take him into the ER?

I also notised that when he moved around his cage to reposition himself, his hop went more sideways than forwards, which I've never seen from him.

Strange hopping sounds like an emergency to me. The first symptoms sounded like gas, except for the limpness. Yes, probably best to get him to a vet ASAP. Limpness is not good. Best of luck, keep him warm until you get there. A warm towel out of the dryer or a rice sock can help.

Rabbit's regulate their body temperature with their ears, so I find it very concerning that they are cold and he is acting lethargic. The strange hopping puts up a red flag as well. I recommend getting him looked at right away. Due to being prey animals, Rabbit's are masters at hiding symptoms of illness until it's more urgent and can crash so quickly.

Keeping you and Benji in my thoughts. :bunnyhug:

I agree that something is up.

Keep him warm with a rice sock (dry rice in an old sock, microwave for a minute or two) or drier warmed towel. You can also syringe him some warm fluid (you want the fluid about body temperature).

And then get him to a vet as soon as you can.

-Dawn

Thank you all very much. Unfortunately I didn't get him to the vet in time..he began kicking and gasping for air on the way there, and that was it.
He's the first bunny I've ever had, and he was a huge part of the family.

But thank you all =]

I'm so sorry. Rabbits hide illnesses so well that we often don't find out until it is too late. Binky free, Benji.

Latest posts

Back