Benjamin Getting Neutered On Wednesday (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
Benjamin is getting neutered this Wednesday (18th) at 9:00am, we don't have to withhold food it will cost £40.24 (excellent price woop) They said we can pick him up later that day. Is that normal? I would of thought he would have to stay for a night?

I just started this thread because this is the first bunny I have ever had neutered and I'm worried!!

Any tips will be very very helpful :)

Becca wrote:
Benjamin is getting neutered this Wednesday (18th) at 9:00am, we don't have to withhold food it will cost £40.24 (excellent price woop) They said we can pick him up later that day. Is that normal? I would of thought he would have to stay for a night?

I just started this thread because this is the first bunny I have ever had neutered and I'm worried!!

Just be careful. Bargains arn't always bargains.

paul2641 wrote:
Becca wrote:

Don't worry my friend has had 3 bunnies neutered there, and shes always taken her buns there :)

Becca wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
Becca wrote:

Don't worry my friend has had 3 bunnies neutered there, and shes always taken her buns there :)
Oh good because you can never be too careful.

Ok...

1) Keep him confined for atleast a week.

2) No jumping around for him.

3) He could be fertile up to 6wks and I have heard of 8wks.

4) Where ever he is kept has to be very clean.

5) Make sure he is getting some kind of pain meds.

6)You, your sister, and your mum have a nice deep breath.

That's fantastic. Sorry for delaying the article, I have sent it now.

It is perfectly normal to bring them home that night. They recover far quicker at home. It can be scary and stressful, but hopefully it will all go smoothly :)

Whiskers, our little dwarf guy, came home the evening of his surgery. He did really well, and I totally agree with Flashy...they seem to do better when they are in their own homes. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way....

Ahh thank you I wasn't sure, and Thanks Tracy I am printing it out as we speak :)

Thanks for the tips Ali, whilst he is being neutered I am going to clean out his cage so I can keep an eye on the amount of poops he does. Also I am going to put a litter tray in (I didn't bother with one before until he was neutered)

How do I make sure he doesn't jump around?
Shall I just not put him out in the run?

Don't worry, he won't be with any females for a while anyway so it doesn't matter about him still being fertile (but obviously I won't go and put him with Fluffball hehe) When the others are neutered and spayed then I will 'possibly' get him a wife.

When he has been neutered will they give me pain meds or do I ask?

He will ideally need to come inside for the first night, and also have a heat source like a snugglesafe or rice sock.

Don't put him in the run for at least a few days, just keep him confined to his cage. No jumping, and don't let him run around anywhere.

You will need to ask about pain meds and you will need to agree that you can have them before the neuter ideally because if they won't give you any after, then it's too late, and Benjamin may be left in pain. They will give him an injection whilst he is being operated on normally, but he will need them for at least another 3 days, so you need to ensure you arrange to bring some home.

Okay, but wouldn't him coming inside stress him out and couldn't it hurt him going from cold to hot??

Correct me if I'm wrong, or is it neccesery after a neuter?

He won't be able to regulate his temperature after, and will need some help to do that. If he is left in a cooler place he could go into shock, and his body will shut down.

Like I suggested in that thing, you can get him used to whatever space it will be that he goes into, in advance. So today and tomorrow you could get him used to that space a bit. But ytou will need to be careful about temps. Not sure about where you are, but it's quite mild here, so if it's mild he should be ok to do short bursts in a different space (say half an hour inside, then back outside to adjust, and go like that, if you want to).

Its lovely here today too!!

So me and Emily are going to clean out his cage then bring it in, then bring him in for a while, then out, then in and out how many times shall I do it?
Shall I leave him inside tonight?

I would maybe look to bringing him in over night tomorrow, and maybe just bring him in for one play today, and one play tomorrow before that. that's what I did with Dusk, who is an outside bun, when I was preparing him for his neuter.

Try to find a coolish place inside, because even a coolish place will be warmer than where he is outside. It also shouldn't be too hot for him.

The conservatory sounds like a great place.

You won't need a syringe unless he needs antibiotics, which he shouldn't really need. The vets will then also be able to give you a syringe should the need arise too.

As for the snugglesafe, there are plenty of other ways to give heat, one I have already mentioned here.

You sound like you're panicking hun. It's important not to panic, and its important to stay calm.

What is it you are panicking about?

I am panicking because I am a child and I don't want Benjamin to be in pain if I can't get pain meds or if I can't give them to him for some reason or if he gets dehydrated.

Panicking won't change anything. I would suggest telling your mum what needs to be done and then trusting that she will sort it. Mum's are good at things like that.

I would suggest that your best bet is to keep as busy as possible and to not dwell on it or think about it too much. Keep yourself distracted and busy.

The run up to it and when he is at the vets is the worst part normally, so distracting yourself can really help with that. You know all you need to know from being on the forum for so long, and you will do a great job looking after him after. We will help you, and my phone will also be on and near me. It IS scary, SO scary, and it's one of the horrible parts of having animals, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Latest posts

Back