Bene Bac question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilly

Reaction score
I bought some Bene Bac and it's the kind that you buy in a pack offour little tubes sold at the pet shop. My question, is it supposed to be real thick and greasy. It even smells greasy and it was hard washing it off of my fingers.I just want to make sure that this stuff isn't bad before i give it to our rabbit.

Thanks

Lilly wrote:
I bought some Bene Bac and it's the kind that you buy in a pack offour little tubes sold at the pet shop. My question, is it supposed to be real thick and greasy. It even smells greasy and it was hard washing it off of my fingers.I just want to make sure that this stuff isn't bad before i give it to our rabbit.

Thanks
hi,lilly-yea i love this....rrrr,rrr.:rofl:..ok-yes benebac/probotics-are like that...if there is a farm supply store,nearby-they carry probotics-for horses-same digestive tract-problems.//.myself i prefer oxbow critical care for the probotics.//.pet-stores are a rip off,,4 dinky little tubes for $8,,--just curious,,are you supplying /stocking your medicine cabinet,,or is there a gi tract issue with the bun.??-sincerely james waller:p:biggrin:

Mine was thick and greasy too. I don't remember a smell or trying to get it off my hands but I only used it once.

Hey thanks for the info. I don't know, she was acting strange a few days ago and her head seemed a little tilted to me and she seemed a little dizzy maybe or either something was wrong with her front leg because it sorta made me think it might be hurting her. I found some kind of weed with seedsin her timothy hay, and now i'm wondering about the paint on the hay holder. I stopped giving her that hay and got a new bag and haven't seen any of that weed seedin it and i took away that hay holder. That weed seed may have been some some of grass, i just don't know.

All ofthose symptomsseem to be gone now tho. I couldn't get a vet appointment until monday, so i've been watching her closely. Today i noticed two brownish spots on the sheet in her playpen and thought maybe i should give her some bene bac just in case. Shes eating and drinking as usual and her poopies look normal so i don't know whats up with those two brown spots.

There is an expiration date on the packaging; it isn't on each individual tube but on the packaging
if it is expired don't use it.
Benebac is yellow and thick and odd smelling.
if you have used it before and this appears different than what you have used previously then I would get another 4 pack.

Awhile back Peg Ag had a problem with some bad benebac gel so it is better to be cautious.

Lilly wrote:
Hey thanks for the info. I don't know, she was acting strange a few days ago and her head seemed a little tilted to me and she seemed a little dizzy maybe or either something was wrong with her front leg because it sorta made me think it might be hurting her. I found some kind of weed with seedsin her timothy hay, and now i'm wondering about the paint on the hay holder. I stopped giving her that hay and got a new bag and haven't seen any of that weed seedin it and i took away that hay holder. That weed seed may have been some some of grass, i just don't know.

All ofthose symptomsseem to be gone now tho. I couldn't get a vet appointment until monday, so i've been watching her closely. Today i noticed two brownish spots on the sheet in her playpen and thought maybe i should give her some bene bac just in case. Shes eating and drinking as usual and her poopies look normal so i don't know whats up with those two brown spots.

Do you get hay from a farm?

if those symptoms should return I definitely would get her to the vet.

angieluv wrote:
There is an expiration date on the packaging; it isn't on each individual tube but on the packaging
if it is expired don't use it.
Benebac is yellow and thick and odd smelling.
if you have used it before and this appears different than what you have used previously then I would get another 4 pack.

Awhile back Peg Ag had a problem with some bad benebac gel so it is better to be cautious.
Thankyou so much for reminding me of that because it made me look again. The first time i looked i didn't see the experation date but i see it now it was out in 2008. Shes definately not getting it now.

angieluv wrote:
Lilly wrote:

Do you get hay from a farm?

if those symptoms should return I definitely would get her to the vet.
I sure will if they come back. I'm gonna pm you and answer your question tho.

Some hay if it's been wet can have mycotoxins in it due to fungi growing on it. Mycotoxin poisoning can cause neurological effects.
http://www.morfz.com/myco.html
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11895&forum_id=10

Also, sweet clover hay can be dangerous.
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/sweetclover.html

If it does come back, now that the suspect hay has been removed, it could be a sign of a number of serious diseases. It's most likely that there was something in that hay that was slightly poisonous, but if it comes back, I'd get her to the vet ASAP.

Back