Bene-Bac Ingredient Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My rabbit, Zoe, has taken (and is currently taking) Bene-Bacfor gut-flora issues. I just noticed that Bene-Bac contains the preservative Ethoxyquin, which gets a bad rap amongst conscientious bird owners (of which I'm one) who avoid all bird pellets/ treats containing it. How is it that Ethoxyquin is okay for rabbits, if it's to be avoided for birds?

Thanks,

Jenk

Huh. That's surprising. As far as I'm aware, Ethoxyquin should be avoided for pretty much all animals although it's very hard to avoid. And the rabbit pellet companies that don't use ethoxyquin often have some other chemical additive that's just as suspect, even Oxbow. *sigh*

I'd call your vet and ask. Although my feeling is that the small amount that would be in a daily dose of Bene-bac shouldn't add up to cause problems.

I was lucky to find bene-bac powder at petco. I sprinkle it in banana and Babette doesn't know its in there.
I cannot find that preservative in the powdered form which is also made by petAg

angieluv wrote:
I was lucky to find bene-bac powder at petco. I sprinkle it in banana and Babette doesn't know its in there.
I cannot find that preservative in the powdered form which is also made by petAg
With Zoe's digestive issues, I don't dare add any extra sugar (even from fruit) to her diet. And I don't necessarily give her veggies every day, either. (It all depends on how her poops are looking. If they become more oddly-shaped than they normally are--or evenmore slimey (sorry to be graphic)--I'll cut out veggies for1-3 days.)

I suppose that, with the powdered form, the only other way to offer it while still potent (maybe) is to put it into water and syringe feed it right away.

Latest posts

Back